General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Questions about getting a part machined

Old 11-13-2017, 04:37 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Default Questions about getting a part machined

I'm hoping someone here might have some experience getting a part built at a machine shop.

I've been researching the possibility of changing the stock CB antenna for something that both performs better and is fairly easy to adjust the SWR. The lightweight 36" Firestik FireFly (FL3-36) along with their medium duty spring seems to be a reasonable choice.

One problem with this solution seems to be the actual CB antenna mount. From combing through various threads on this forum and the Internet I've found a number of people have had issues with the antenna stud (HD part number: 76260-89) breaking when using a larger aftermarket antenna.

It seems as though the stud may be too thin and might not take the wind loading of a larger/thicker antenna.

I was thinking it may be possible to have a machine shop make me an antenna stud that's both stronger and has the female 3/8-24 end on it (Firestik's antennas have a male 3/8-24 end). An antenna stud with the 3/8-24 end would eliminate the need for 6mm to 3/8-24 antenna adapter.

Any idea what something like this might cost? What material should something like this be made out of? Obviously, it needs to be conductive. Does something like this even make sense?
Pictured below is the current HD stud (part number: 76260-89). I'm looking to have something built that is similar, but with a stronger material and a female 3/8-24 end instead of the male 6mm end.

Attached Thumbnails Questions about getting a part machined-76260-89.jpg  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:09 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 707 Likes on 620 Posts

what is the stock material made of??
do you have the dimensions?
my first choice would be stainless steel especially so if in contact with aluminum.
the next would be grade 5 or grade 8 bolt.
it would be easy to do using a shank off a bolt and probably with common home tools, the grade 8 being the hardest to cut. stainless can be a bear if you over heat it but if you take your time, easily done (will get hard if heated). the 316 is better material but the 304 is machine-able.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,218 Likes on 3,603 Posts

If you want 3/8-24 threads both ends with on end being mail, you can use a threaded coupling and some all thread to get what you want.. There are only 1 1/8 tall but you could stack 2 on the all thread if you want longer. I assume the cross hole is main for holding while threading..

https://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-coupling-nuts/=1a97ga1

Old 11-14-2017, 03:26 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

an extremely brilliant idea mr. max!!!

you can find extended coupling nuts also.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:58 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you for the responses, but I don't think I've properly explained what I'm looking to do.
The stud in the picture (HD #76260-89) is a press fit in the lamp assembly attached to the rear of the tour-pak. The top of the stud with the male 6mm thread fits the HD CB antenna which is screwed on.
The hole you see near the bottom of the antenna stud is for a set screw (HD #3227) which is screwed into the stud from inside the tour-pak. The other end of the set screw is attached to the antenna cable via a ring terminal.

The top part of this antenna stud with the 6mm threading is where the stud snaps due to the wind loading of a larger antenna.

An aftermarket antenna, like a Firestik Firefly (FL3) has a 3/8"-24 male end, not a 6mm female end like the HD CB antenna.

I was interested in having a new stronger stud made with a thread 3/8"-24 female top, instead of the 6mm male top on the current stud.

I've attached a couple of pictures that might make this a bit clearer.

Attached Thumbnails Questions about getting a part machined-76260-89a.jpg   Questions about getting a part machined-3327.jpg   Questions about getting a part machined-tourpak.jpg  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:22 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,218 Likes on 3,603 Posts

Picture don't help.. Can you draw what you want..

Old 11-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 533 Posts

Grade 8 is hard , it's also brittle not the best choice for everything.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:06 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Something like this....

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following 2 users liked this post by ROCKOUT Rocker Products:
LQQK_OUT (11-19-2017), Max Headflow (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:44 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

grade 8 will hold that whimpy load till the cows come home.
if you have one or even broken one, jpeg it and the dimensions.
i do not run with the bagger crowd but if i see one, will look at it.
one can be made in a lathe but without measurements, will be a wild guess for fit.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:38 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Exactly! Using my non-existent skills with an image manipulation program (Gimp), I created the below image. Keep in mind everything should be straight. On the top part of the stud (3/8-24 female), the outside should be round for aesthetic purposes. There doesn't need to be any flats on it. The diagram/picture from ROCKOUT captures exactly what I'm looking for.
This part would allow people to easily install an after market Firestik CB antenna, as long as the part is made with a stronger material to ensure the top part doesn't snap off.
I've attached a picture of where the current stud breaks.

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Something like this....

Attached Thumbnails Questions about getting a part machined-stud.jpg   Questions about getting a part machined-76260-89-broken.gif  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about getting a part machined