Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Topics/Tech Tips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips-59/)
-   -   Factory47 14" Apes 2017 SGS install? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/1214014-factory47-14-apes-2017-sgs-install.html)

RET_SCPO 01-10-2018 08:46 AM

Factory47 14" Apes 2017 SGS install?

I've decided to purchase these bars for my 2017 SGS. I'm going to make an attempt to do the install myself and was wondering if anyone else here has installed these bars on their own? They have a youtube video which is pretty detailed showing the install and using the factory wiring.

I would like to hear from others before I start pulling my bike apart.

RET_SCPO 01-11-2018 01:21 PM

Bump*

Maybe someone could just comment on the installation using the existing harness. Anyone tried it?

Here's the video Factory47 provides. Aside from the annoying music it's well filmed and the detail is appears adequate enough to be able to follow.

I might just order the extended wire harness. That would make the installation very easy. these bars look like they're top quality.

6113_ 01-11-2018 01:25 PM

Call Charles at the shop, he'll set you straight. I forget now what he was telling me, but maybe it's 2014 and newer you don't have to take apart the fly by wire plug because units smaller? Goes straight through the bar? He told me but I forgot

RET_SCPO 01-11-2018 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 6113_ (Post 16988313)
Call Charles at the shop, he'll set you straight. I forget now what he was telling me, but maybe it's 2014 and newer you don't have to take apart the fly by wire plug because units smaller? Goes straight through the bar? He told me but I forgot

Thanks for the info. I'm ordering the bars this weekend so I'll ask when I call.

Stroked16 01-11-2018 03:18 PM

I did my own install and followed that video. It is all straight forward, easy to follow. I would however, recommend the wiring harness extension for the head-unit. It's only $30 and gives you plenty of slack and you'll thank yourself later if you need to pull the fairing. If not, you can still follow their instructions on relocating the two wiring harnesses, you'll just have less area to work with when unclipping them.

Stroked16 01-11-2018 03:54 PM

8:00 mark is the step where you relocate the wiring harness. Stock, it runs towards the front tire. You remove it from the rest of the harness' so it's closer to the bar clamp. I did this step, but also purchased the extension harness (I believe it's an extra 4-6 inches of wiring).

46:30 mark you'll see how tight it can be without the extension. Really a preference.

Also, have good grease and good cable/rope to pull it through. Those 90* bends are a PITA.

Stroked16 01-14-2018 03:54 PM

How'd it go?

SSpeeDEMONSS 01-20-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 6113_ (Post 16988313)

I believe it is ‘16 and newer. I had to take it apart on my ‘14. My install was pretty straight forward. Basically going through the steps. Worst part by far is getting the wires through the bars and I have LA Choppers twin peaks which I believe are easier to wire. I used the NAMZ extensions, I can’t imagine doing it with factory wiring. Also, you’ll need longer brake and clutch cables for 14”. I barely made it with my 12”.

I used this video, pretty well detailed.

One thing I would recommend is to drill and tap the top clamp to pin the bars.

Garrett

RET_SCPO 02-08-2018 02:37 PM

I haven't ordered the bars yet but am planning to soon I had ad to put buying them on hold due to an unscheduled financial event.

I'm considering buying a wire extension harness to make the install easier. Can someone here tell me which harness I need?

2017 SGS. I need to get this job going so I don't eat in to any of the riding season.

Stroked16 02-08-2018 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO (Post 17072511)
I haven't ordered the bars yet but am planning to soon I had ad to put buying them on hold due to an unscheduled financial event.

I'm considering buying a wire extension harness to make the install easier. Can someone here tell me which harness I need?

2017 SGS. I need to get this job going so I don't eat in to any of the riding season.

IIRC the P/N is 2120-0783. It’ll be a harness that extends your throttle/switch harness.

There may be options of various lengths. I recall only spending about $30 for mine.