General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Well maintained 2002 Fat Boy with 30k miles ... reliable or headaches?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 AM
No H2O
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Now you are getting ridiculous. It`s a motorcycle, not the space shuttle.
I disagree.
The circled bolts were marked with white waterproof paint on both the bolt and surrounding housing.
It takes me a matter of seconds to walk around the bike and visually see if the marking is "broken" (i.e. the bolt has loosened).
Those few seconds, to me at least, are well worth the piece of mind.
Maybe not HDs but bolts on bikes do come loose.

Attached Thumbnails Well maintained 2002 Fat Boy with 30k miles ... reliable or headaches?-tempbmwrcriticalbolts01.jpg   Well maintained 2002 Fat Boy with 30k miles ... reliable or headaches?-tempbmwrcriticalbolts02.jpg  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by No H2O
Ok so my definition of frequent checks is:
a) tire pressure (1x/week)
b) oil level (every couple days)
c) critical bolts before nearly every ride (witness marks are on the critical bolts so I can visibly see if any are starting to come loose, everyone should do this)

What else needs to be checked on the Fat Boy and how often?

PS Nice Panamera
Bike your looking at looks great and price seems fair.

I try to check tire pressure every couple weeks.
Oil level gets checked when I think of it. Like before and after a trip. I know how much oil bike uses.
I have never marked a nut or bolt on any of my bikes.
The only thing I would check on that bike is the cam chain tensioners.

In my opinion you might be a little paranoid for some reason. Ride it and enjoy.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:46 PM
jockotwin
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by No H2O
I disagree.
The circled bolts were marked with white waterproof paint on both the bolt and surrounding housing.
It takes me a matter of seconds to walk around the bike and visually see if the marking is "broken" (i.e. the bolt has loosened).
Those few seconds, to me at least, are well worth the piece of mind.
Maybe not HDs but bolts on bikes do come loose.
I do the same thing on mine using a white out pen. I just added the bolt for the side stand to the list as I found it loose when I put the bike up for the winter. I do periodically go over bolts on the bike & had never found that one loose before.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:58 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

My opinion...I've owned a 2002 Fatboy for about 8 years now and the only weak spot is the cam chain tensioners. Replaced mine with Screaming Eagle tensioners at 30,000 miles and as far as I'm concerned its bullet proof from here on. 2002 is the last year of the forged crank shaft and Timpken Bearings so IMO you won't find a better deal, but check the tensioners.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:51 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

Originally Posted by HDmikie
My opinion...I've owned a 2002 Fatboy for about 8 years now and the only weak spot is the cam chain tensioners. Replaced mine with Screaming Eagle tensioners at 30,000 miles and as far as I'm concerned its bullet proof from here on. 2002 is the last year of the forged crank shaft and Timpken Bearings so IMO you won't find a better deal, but check the tensioners.
2004 was the last rear for cold forged cranks.. You are right about the timkins. Reason I bought a used 02 RKC.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:08 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
2004 was the last rear for cold forged cranks.. You are right about the timkins. Reason I bought a used 02 RKC.
Yep, but 2002 was last year for "hot" forged cranks.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:16 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Yep, but 2002 was last year for "hot" forged cranks.
You are right I got the cold / hot backwards but it was 2004. I'll dig up the service bulletin later.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:22 AM
twoglides13
Road Captain
Received 237 Likes on 145 Posts

Like anything mechanical, your BMW will be trouble free until it is not, and that day will certainly come!! Ride what you enjoy riding.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:27 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
You are right I got the cold / hot backwards but it was 2004. I'll dig up the service bulletin later.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:09 PM
No H2O
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

the only weak spot is the cam chain tensioners. Replaced mine with Screaming Eagle tensioners at 30,000 miles and as far as I'm concerned its bullet proof from here on.
I asked the owner about this and he only said the tensioner was replaced by the dealer which brings up the following questions:
1. What is the difference between a cam drive and a cam chain tensioner?
2. If one (or the other) *breaks* while riding, what is the result? Engine failure, no power, pull over.
3. If the tensioner was replaced at the dealer, I'll assume they replaced it with a stock tensioner so if the stock tensioner is weak to begin with I wouldn't think that would solve the problem. Apologies if these are novice questions but can anyone explain how this works and where the failure point is on these models. I appreciate it.

Going to test ride it this weekend

Quick Reply: Well maintained 2002 Fat Boy with 30k miles ... reliable or headaches?