General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Carb, Heads, and Air Cleaner Flow\CFM

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Phinatic62
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
The ac should be fine 213 cfm@1.5"is more than you think. Your heads CFM is stated @28"and @1.5" I doubt those heads will flow 200 CFM... As for the carb a 42 will be small.. a45 or a G as Max said.....

For​ the rest of the build, I have to disagree. An S&S 583@18*ivc set to 10.08 (w/.045” hg) will put your ccp@208 coupled with that .045"hg (squish) it will be a ping monster and most likely difficult to tune.... The best remedy for that would be a cam in the 35-40*ivc range....
Wow, that’s some really good information. I never would have thought to compare the flow ratings based on the inches of water column they were measured at. As far as the CCP goes, that doesn’t really matter in my case because I’m using S&S Easy Start cams. Also, I used several on line calculators to figure out volumetric efficiency (VE) and the max CFM my engine could actually flow to see ihow much carb and /or AC would be limiting the engine from operating at max. That being said, the calculators showed the max that my build could flow is about 177 CFM; does that sound right? If that’s the case, then neither the AC at 200+ CFM and the HSR 42 carb at 213 CFM would limit/restrict the engine. The exhaust shouldn’t be an issue either as it is a D&D Fat Cat set up. The squish still slightly concerns me, even though S&S said it won’t be an issue. Thoughts?

Old 02-07-2018, 03:24 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Your not listening to me but whatever.... So what issue are you having with squish... What's your problem?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,245 Likes on 3,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Phinatic62

Wow, that’s some really good information. I never would have thought to compare the flow ratings based on the inches of water column they were measured at. As far as the CCP goes, that doesn’t really matter in my case because I’m using S&S Easy Start cams. Also, I used several on line calculators to figure out volumetric efficiency (VE) and the max CFM my engine could actually flow to see ihow much carb and /or AC would be limiting the engine from operating at max. That being said, the calculators showed the max that my build could flow is about 177 CFM; does that sound right? If that’s the case, then neither the AC at 200+ CFM and the HSR 42 carb at 213 CFM would limit/restrict the engine. The exhaust shouldn’t be an issue either as it is a D&D Fat Cat set up. The squish still slightly concerns me, even though S&S said it won’t be an issue. Thoughts?
One of the things you are forgetting is that the formula you are using only calculates the flow requirements based on RPM and displacement. It doesn't take into account that the motor can only draw air on 1/2 the stoke..

From what I've seen a HSR42 will flow about 290 cfm at 28 inches but you put it on a stock manifold and flow drops to 250 cfm at 28..

If you want to correct pressure to flow multiply the current flow by the square root of the new pressure over the old pressure.

In you case the air filter will flow 200 x 4.32 = 864 cfm at 28 inch H20. Plenty there but that is at 28 inches. That means that filter is dropping pressure so the carb and heads see less pressure.. Less pressure means less flow.

Still they only way to really tell what the intake flows all together is to bolt it all together and put it on a flow bench. If the head flows 280 and you install the 42 and manifold, you'll likely find that the flow has dropped to something like 220 cfm..

If it were me and wanted to use all SnS parts but stick with the 42, I'd use the 79 cc heads, flattops, squish set to 0.034 and SnS570 cam.. I'd probably go with the 5cc domes and a Tman TM590 tho you could use the Sn585.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:29 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,162 Likes on 6,205 Posts

Originally Posted by Phinatic62

Easy start cams or not, your ccp does matter, because if it's too high, you'll either need to retard the ignition timing or run high octane (above 91 certainly-maybe even higher) fuel to avoid detonation. CCP is a general indicator of working cylinder pressure, not just cranking resistance. Seriously, you need to take this into account before you build your engine or you'll probably never get it to run to your satisfaction without either 1) risking engine damage or 2) taking it apart and doing it right the second time around. Just my $0.02 worth...