General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Brake Piston Tool Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 05:32 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts
Default Brake Piston Tool Experience

I've gotten a lot of good tips and tricks here on the forum and like to try and give back when I can. I recently added a tool to the box that's worthy of some praise. I just finished a complete rebuild of my 2002's braking system and used these brake piston pliers to remove the pistons that invariably hang in the bore after one of the others pop out using the air compressor.

These things absolutely work as advertised. Simple, quick, doesn't maul the inside of the piston and are cheap. I'll never fire up the compressor to remove pistons again; I should have done it sooner. The last couple pics are how a cheap redneck gets them out without the proper tool.

Link to specs

https://www.otctools.com/products/br...locking-pliers

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-16-2018 at 05:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 06:13 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Just a quick addition.

I made this to help with brake bleeding. It's a plastic peanut jar with a rubber coated magnet Gorilla glued to the bottom. I got the magnet off a free parts tray/holder from Harbor Freight (with a coupon).

I can use it by itself and gravity bleed directly into it, or I can set the Mity Vac reservoir down in it so I don't spill fluid everywhere. The magnet sticks to my table lift but it's also heavy enough that if you just set it on the floor it'll stay upright because of the weight. With all that's going on (ABS Recall), it can't hurt to make the chore a little easier.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,233 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Like the tools.. Even the redneck one..

Here a pic of the one I made to pull pistons.. Simply tighten the nut and the O ring squishes out to grab the ID of the piston.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
Campy Roadie (02-16-2018), cficole (02-23-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Like the tools.. Even the redneck one..

Here a pic of the one I made to pull pistons.. Simply tighten the nut and the O ring squishes out to grab the ID of the piston.

Where in hell were you 32 dollars and 86 cents ago !

I like that.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:28 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Where in hell were you 32 dollars and 86 cents ago !

I like that.
Keep in mind Nomadmax, those aren't just washers, they probably have a Taper machined into them along with the other desired "machined in" requirements (eg. OD, internal threading (on one), etc)

So you would have to deal with or "workaround" that

Campy Roadie (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Keep in mind Nomadmax, those aren't just washers, they probably have a Taper machined into them along with the other desired "machined in" requirements (eg. OD, internal threading (on one), etc)

So you would have to deal with or "workaround" that
Yeah probably easier for me to buy the pliers

On another note about old brake calipers, well the 4 piston pre Brembos anyway. Look up that pic and the anti rattle clips he has there; every one I've ever taken apart have those exact ones.

I bought a new replacement caliper from Boardtracker a few years ago (it was re-built yesterday) and the anti-rattle clip is different, not directional with a leg on one side and a dent on the other. The other thing was the bleeder bolt had an O ring on it. I've never seen either of these things and have taken a number of these apart; not the same ones over and over

What gives?

Old 02-16-2018, 02:55 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Well, those calipers are up to a "C" Rev on the Right and a "D" Rev on the Left which includes a "B" Rev anti-rattle clip and a "A" Rev Bleeder

That must be some of the changes

Campy Roadie (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:38 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

While the discs were likely lathe cut to size, it could have been done bolt, drill and grinder with a flap disc. The disc themselves were likely left over holes from a hole saw in some 3/16 - 1/4 inch aluminum.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 02-16-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Campy Roadie (02-17-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Well, those calipers are up to a "C" Rev on the Right and a "D" Rev on the Left which includes a "B" Rev anti-rattle clip and a "A" Rev Bleeder

That must be some of the changes
Multi and Max,

Have a look at this bleeder that came out of my right front (newer caliper). It wept fluid after I re-installed it; couldn't get it to stop leaking. I had some NOS bleeders on hand and swapped it out. I read somewhere, that the o-ring bleeder is something used in manufacturing/testing. I don't know how it didn't leak the past two years (DOT 5 so I don't change yearly). If I have the mechanics right, the tip of the bleeder screw protrudes into the hole in the caliper (at the bottom of the threaded hole). The o-ring bleeder never would have made it that far.

What gives?

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-22-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I would think that it had to seal as it didn't leak before you took it a part.. Maybe the O ring swelled up a little during cleaning? I hate the stock bleeders. Hex part is too narrow and the bleeder nipple too short. I'm good at making messes when the bleed hose pops off.. I ended up making my own bleeders..

Campy Roadie (02-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Brake Piston Tool Experience