General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Issues with Secondary Tach?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 10:44 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Picked up the tach housing / bezel this morning from the chromers. Turned out nice. Can't wait to finish this project!

Old 03-06-2018, 06:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
The tach and mount is what was originally installed on a 2013 Police Road King. 2013 is the last year they mounted the tach on the handle bar nacelle. The mount was hammer finished powder coat. I sandblasted the mount and dropped it off yesterday to have chromed. No problems, took about twenty minutes to blast.

The HD tech advises there is a harness connection available to make the connection a breeze. All I have to do is drill holes in my stock chrome cover for the mount to bolt onto.

I am gonna let them do the install as he is only charging 1 hr which includes drilling the holes. I pick up the chromed part Monday. Planning to be completed next Saturday. I'll post pics when done. I think the stock HD Tach, which matches the speedometer, mounted in a chrome fixture will really look nice and more practical than constantly looking down at the digital tach in the tiny display window.

I thought I replied to this but I musta been dreaming. I don't think a 2013 tach will work.. They are not CAN bus.. The 2013 tach still used J1850 serial bus..

Old 03-16-2018, 12:12 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cbyway
The tach and mount is what was originally installed on a 2013 Police Road King. 2013 is the last year they mounted the tach on the handle bar nacelle. The mount was hammer finished powder coat. I sandblasted the mount and dropped it off yesterday to have chromed. No problems, took about twenty minutes to blast.

The HD tech advises there is a harness connection available to make the connection a breeze. All I have to do is drill holes in my stock chrome cover for the mount to bolt onto.

I am gonna let them do the install as he is only charging 1 hr which includes drilling the holes. I pick up the chromed part Monday. Planning to be completed next Saturday. I'll post pics when done. I think the stock HD Tach, which matches the speedometer, mounted in a chrome fixture will really look nice and more practical than constantly looking down at the digital tach in the tiny display window.
So how did the tach install go?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So how did the tach install go?
It happens tomorrow, my appointment is at 11:30 am. I will post results with pics tomorrow afternoon if all goes well. I am very curious about this still. My guy sais no problem. If it doesn't work, I am out nothing but the cost of chroming. We shall see.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (03-16-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

Maxheadflow,

You were right bud, they hit a dead end trying everything. I am pretty disappointed but exhausted all avenues. The good thing is the dealer refunded me everything including the mount I had chromed. All I am out is $25 for chroming and will have to just suck it up and install the HD Speedo/Tach.

The good news is since my wife already saw the charge on the credit card for parts I ordered for this project I had them install the factory security system which the bike didn't already have. Still a good day and no way in hell I wanted her to think I changed my mind buying parts. Thanks for all the input.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I was hoping it would work but doubted that it would.. It would be a bunch easier..

I'm sort of stalled on mine as I've got a 3 legged dog that has started to have issues walling on his only rear leg.. Trying to rig up a set of wheels so he can get around.

I bought a can bus monitor to look at the data bus and send out test messages. I suspect that I can translate the RPM message that HD uses to something that the tach I have can understand but have only gotten as far as making the cable when the other project came up..

Old 03-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

Well good luck with both projects. The tech and service manager told me they could possibly rig it but would have to cut into the harness. I told them I don't want anything "rigged" on a 2018 model. I was shocked how differently the Police Road King is wired from the Standard model. Cop bikes have all the extra electronics I know, but I sure thought it would look cool with that chrome bezeled tach sitting up on the Nacelle. He brought a Police King into the service area so we could compare the two.

I really wish I would have bought the bike there. Very cool place. They were having a big St. Patrick's day festival. Nine people rang the bell within the three hours I was there.

The security system was next on the list anyway. Also, he programmed my driving lights to remain on with the high beams so it wasn't a total disappointment.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:57 PM
riotron
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Cbyway, please look at my update at: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...king-tach.html

I was able to get an 2018 Low Rider Tach to work on my 2017 Road King. It will probably take me a few more days to get the write up written - I'm color blind so basically I wired it up according to how it wires up to the 18 Low Rider speedometer.

Last edited by riotron; 12-16-2018 at 04:58 PM.