General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Issues with Secondary Tach?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 04:23 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Issues with Secondary Tach?

My question is regarding a 2018 Road King. The speedometer is of course on the tank, the tachometer is on digital display inside the speedometer on like screen number six. I currently have to constantly flip through the menu to find the tach and its a PITA. I ordered the combination HD speedo/tach unit before Christmas which replaces the OEM speedometer, the one with like 600 color options. I have not yet installed it because I really want a 3.5" tachometer mounted above the handlebars where it used to be on the Police Road King. A few years ago HD swapped locations on the Police King, the tach is now on the tank and the speedometer is above the bars.

At any rate, I have ordered all the components I need to complete this project. What I didn't think about being a problem until now is by doing this I will actually be running two tachometers. Has anyone done a mod like this or know if I will have issues. The factory tach is really in a horrible location and its digital and on top of that you have to look down to view it in the little *** display. I appreciate any input or projected problems.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:26 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

i really see no issue. if they both get their reading off the buss, each unit is just reading the data as each tach will have its own power source and just processes the info.
now if the tach is bi-directional then it must have its own address so the ecu can access it so it may have to be programmed into the ecu.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:28 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

I doubt you'll have any issues.. The tachometer information is on the CAN bus for any device to read.. Whether you see tach in the speedo probably depends on what the new speedo displays in the odometer.

Too bad about having the tack mounted on the dash and speedo up between the bars.. I liked the old way. My 02 has a 2 5/8 tach mounted on the handle bar cover that HD sold for early TCs and I would like something similar on my 17 RK.

I'm going to try running a 3 3/8 tack from Speedhut. They make CAN bus instruments including tachs and multi function displays.. The tach was $127 delivered.. The display was configured to look close to the stock speedo.

https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Tach...f254|f215|f169

Mine as configured.

I plan to mount it on the bar cover and need to make a nacelle/mount for it. I plan to replace the threaded ring that is supplied with an aluminium housing that is PCed black..

They custom make these with a 3-4 week lead time. I get mine tomorrow. First thing to do is wire it into the CAN bus and see if it works..

Old 02-28-2018, 06:33 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I doubt you'll have any issues.. The tachometer information is on the CAN bus for any device to read.. Whether you see tach in the speedo probably depends on what the new speedo displays in the odometer.

Too bad about having the tack mounted on the dash and speedo up between the bars.. I liked the old way. My 02 has a 2 5/8 tach mounted on the handle bar cover that HD sold for early TCs and I would like something similar on my 17 RK.

I'm going to try running a 3 3/8 tack from Speedhut. They make CAN bus instruments including tachs and multi function displays.. The tach was $127 delivered.. The display was configured to look close to the stock speedo.

https://www.speedhut.com/gauges/Tach...f254 f215 f169

Mine as configured.

I plan to mount it on the bar cover and need to make a nacelle/mount for it. I plan to replace the threaded ring that is supplied with an aluminium housing that is PCed black..

They custom make these with a 3-4 week lead time. I get mine tomorrow. First thing to do is wire it into the CAN bus and see if it works..
Thanks for the responses. I have searched all through the site and there is not a lot of info related to this subject with newer bikes. I am going in hopeful it will work. I ordered a 3" tach, black face, white needed and red tip needle. It is close to the OEM Police tach just doesn't say Harley-Davidson. I also ordered the OEM mounting plate which is labeled "Police Road King". My plan is to sandblast the black powder coat on the new plate and have it chromed. I will use the OEM Nacelle which is also chrome but will have to drill holes for the mounting plate. I also ordered all the OEM nuts, bolts and washers. All the ordered parts cost me $320 vs the $300 HD speedo/tach combo unit which I can get credit for returned. I can have the guys in my machine shop drill the holes in the Nacelle and send it out to have chromed at very little cost. The service manager told me he would only charge me 1 hr labor to do the wiring so I may pop for that as well.

I really like having the tach in the upright position and this will be something different. I know its not the easiest way but hopefully it will turn out looking sharp. Testing the tach before drilling the holes in the Nacelle is a great tip. Thanks

Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cbyway
Thanks for the responses. I have searched all through the site and there is not a lot of info related to this subject with newer bikes. I am going in hopeful it will work. I ordered a 3" tach, black face, white needed and red tip needle. It is close to the OEM Police tach just doesn't say Harley-Davidson. I also ordered the OEM mounting plate which is labeled "Police Road King". My plan is to sandblast the black powder coat on the new plate and have it chromed. I will use the OEM Nacelle which is also chrome but will have to drill holes for the mounting plate. I also ordered all the OEM nuts, bolts and washers. All the ordered parts cost me $320 vs the $300 HD speedo/tach combo unit which I can get credit for returned. I can have the guys in my machine shop drill the holes in the Nacelle and send it out to have chromed at very little cost. The service manager told me he would only charge me 1 hr labor to do the wiring so I may pop for that as well.

I really like having the tach in the upright position and this will be something different. I know its not the easiest way but hopefully it will turn out looking sharp. Testing the tach before drilling the holes in the Nacelle is a great tip. Thanks

Well I wouldn't have ordered the tach just yet as I stated.

First thing to do is wire it into the CAN bus and see if it works..
But if you are willing to give it a shot..

While there is some discussion on the web site that the tach uses the J1979 std and that is like how HD implemented the tachometer message, it not a guarantee.. I do have an alternate plan if standard can bus message is not part of the messages on the HD bus.. It requires use of a can bus controller to translate the messages.

https://www.speedhut.com/about-freed...es.html#canbus

I would not sand blast the PC off. It's better to do it chemically as bead would leave a rough surface that needs to be polished before plating. My plan is to PC black most of the chrome on my RK plus the fork lowers once the tach setup is complete. I'll have a cheaper RK special with the lollipop turn signals and windshield..

Old 02-28-2018, 10:38 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

One thing to point out is that these gauges are panel mount. The use a big nut to hold themselves in place. See pic..

You are supposed to mount the gauge to a sheet metal dash.. I'm not sure how you are going to fit it into the stock HD bracket. Maybe turn the nut and glue into place? Will need to figure out how to hold the bottom cover on..

Anyway good luck with your project. I enjoy people doing custom work..

Old 02-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

One more note.. What might fit the HD FLHP speedo bracket is a 2017 dyna low rider tach.. Not sure how the faces match up..

Add. Or out of the 2018 low rider.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 02-28-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:24 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

All great points I really appreciate your input. I will see when these components come in. The HD service tech has no doubt it can be accomplished. He helped me order what he said I needed from parts catalogs there at the dealership. I will post pics when done. Thanks again.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:48 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Well I tried connecting the tach up.. Spliced into the left handlebar CAN wires. It looks as tho the tach does not see the CAN bus message for RPMs. Tach sweeps the needle to show that it's initialized but does not read anything.. Next step is to translate the HD message to STD CAN message that the tach understands.. Have a module that should be able to do that. At least it can read HD RPMs and send it to blue tooth for a phone to display..

It will take some work.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

The tach and mount is what was originally installed on a 2013 Police Road King. 2013 is the last year they mounted the tach on the handle bar nacelle. The mount was hammer finished powder coat. I sandblasted the mount and dropped it off yesterday to have chromed. No problems, took about twenty minutes to blast.

The HD tech advises there is a harness connection available to make the connection a breeze. All I have to do is drill holes in my stock chrome cover for the mount to bolt onto.

I am gonna let them do the install as he is only charging 1 hr which includes drilling the holes. I pick up the chromed part Monday. Planning to be completed next Saturday. I'll post pics when done. I think the stock HD Tach, which matches the speedometer, mounted in a chrome fixture will really look nice and more practical than constantly looking down at the digital tach in the tiny display window.

Quick Reply: Issues with Secondary Tach?