General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Love Jugs vs. HD Coolflow fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 12:29 AM
trammway
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love Jugs vs. HD Coolflow fan

I’m thinking of installing either one if the fans as stated in the title. Does anyone know if there is a technical comparison between these two?

I see that HD Coolflow fan looks better on the aesthetics department and diverts the heat waves reaching the rider against the love jugs that helps cooling down the source of the heat but kills the looks of that neat Vtwin looks.

Also I don’t have any electrical wattage numbers to compare. What would be the prolonged use of these fans at engine idling condition ? Which one will drain the battery faster ?

HD Coolflow fan:

https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/s...05-26800128--1

Old 06-20-2018, 07:11 AM
scott7d
Road Captain
Received 846 Likes on 257 Posts

Have you seen the Love Jugs Mighty Mite fans? Much smaller profile than the standard unit and still work great. I also was not thrilled with the looks so painted them granite to match the motor and they blend in much better. I can send photos if you'd like to see.

As you mentioned, the Love Jugs benefit the motor as the HD fans just provide more rider comfort. Personally, I'd rather feel a little heat on my right leg and dramatically cool my oil temps in slowed/stopped conditions. Plus, if a bike is tuned correctly then at no point should the heat be unbearable. I think a quality tune should be the first defense and is too often ignored by riders.

For what it's worth, I've noticed no issues with my battery even while starting the bike with the fans on. I also don't leave them on full time unless I just space out and forget. However; it doesn't hurt anything.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2018, 03:38 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

If I could afford it, I might be inclined to install both, since the Love Jugs is on the left side, and the HD Coolflow looks like it's on the right, and I'd hook the Love Jugs to a temperature sensor on the heads, like many here have done, so no switch needed. They would just come on when the temps reach a certain amount, and only go off if it drops below that. Automation is a wonderful thing. Also, this way you keep your leg cool as well as the engine, so best of both worlds.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:49 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

From what I understand the Love Jugs throw the heat right into your leg pretty uncomfortable.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

We sell a lot of our crotch coolers to those running fans. Like mentioned above they throw the heat right into your leg ..

Old 07-04-2018, 07:54 PM
scott7d
Road Captain
Received 846 Likes on 257 Posts

Being an owner of the mighty mite fans for about 20,000 miles now, I can say they really do not put a bunch of heat on your right leg. Anyone with that issue may need to investigate an underlying problem such as a poor tune. Sunny 90+ degree days stuck in construction traffic....my right leg is fine with fans on. I'd even go as far to say that I feel more heat with the fans off Because it just saturates the air around you rather than being blown away. I've tested that theory a few times. But different setups for whatever reason may feel different .

Old 07-04-2018, 08:36 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Has anyone yet attempted to use the HD coolflow fans on an older touring model? I know they are normally ecm controlled but I would think a 12v source and a switch would work...