General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Is this a normal dealer response?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:49 PM
Ghost_Glide
Advanced
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Is this a normal dealer response?

So my girl just put on a stage 1 on her sportster with a PV tuner. When she bought her bike, a 2016 iron 883, She paid for a maintence plan through our dealer and every major service (1k, 5k etc) is paid, front of the line and a rental. She called the other day to get her 15k mile service done and they said they could no longer service her bike without flagging it for warranty issues and they don’t work on bikes with Poer Vision tuners on FP3...have a M8 Road Glide I’m fully aware of the EPA compliant BS and the MotorCo but to turn away a paid up customer is pretty infuriating. Has anyone else heard of a service dept turning away customers for having used a particular tuner?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:53 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Far as I know the EPA decree doesn't apply to 2016 models... your dealer is just making excuses.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 12:01 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I don't normally say this, but this is bullshit. Your dealer is lying to you. Tell them you either want a refund on the remaining services, or you'll sue.

The tuner has nothing to do with "warranty issues" on any 2016 and older bike. They're trying to screw you out of the remaining services.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:02 AM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 541 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_Glide
So my girl just put on a stage 1 on her sportster with a PV tuner. When she bought her bike, a 2016 iron 883, She paid for a maintence plan through our dealer and every major service (1k, 5k etc) is paid, front of the line and a rental. She called the other day to get her 15k mile service done and they said they could no longer service her bike without flagging it for warranty issues and they don’t work on bikes with Poer Vision tuners on FP3...have a M8 Road Glide I’m fully aware of the EPA compliant BS and the MotorCo but to turn away a paid up customer is pretty infuriating. Has anyone else heard of a service dept turning away customers for having used a particular tuner?
Tell em fine....give her the money back for the plan and then to go screw themselves. Doing the services on the bike...oil changes,checking things over etc. have nothing to do with her warranty. Besides that its a 2016 and if she bought it in 16 that EPA voided warranty deal wasnt in effect then.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:32 AM
Flstcjay
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyder54
Tell em fine....give her the money back for the plan and then to go screw themselves. Doing the services on the bike...oil changes,checking things over etc. have nothing to do with her warranty. Besides that its a 2016 and if she bought it in 16 that EPA voided warranty deal wasnt in effect then.
Exactly. Service has nothing to do with warrantee, so your dealer is a scumbag. Don’t think I’d want them working on my bike anyway. Money back or lawyer.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:01 AM
DeputyDawg
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

ANY modification or accessory that is not factory approved and not installed by a tech at an authorized CAN void existing warranty.
That has absolutely nothing to do with a service contract
Simple solution, take the tuner off!

Old 07-05-2018, 11:55 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

The key point here is that the dealer " said they could no longer service her bike without flagging it for warranty issues" The EPA mandate that bikes be flagged does not apply to 2016 bikes. That dealer can put a turbo on it & not say a word to the MOCO... they're just being dicks.

A little while back I went into a local dealer & was surprised to see aftermarket pipes on the wall at the parts counter. I asked if they were installing them on new bikes... "only '16 and older".

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Old 07-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Is it Seacoast or Rochester Harley?

Old 07-05-2018, 01:59 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

i see two issues here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

they have to prove it, not the customer

second, the extra warranty is a CONTRACT! if they issued the extra warranty knowing it had the mod's, it is grandfathered in. the extra warranty MUST have the exclusions fully disclosed any breach is a breach of contract. if there is no buy out clause, they MUST honor the extra warranty.

most states have department of public consumer protections and i would fire off a formal complaint through them, they will send an official letter to the dealer and if they can not prove their case, you now have ammo if you decide to go to court, the state will not do so, but at least you proved willing to solve the issue and they acted in BAD FAITH which does not sit well in the courts and they can go above and beyond set value of the product, if small claims, to ceiling limit.

to start the process, you send them a letter of intent, certified and return receipt, listing your demands. some courts actually require this since it may provoke the adversary to settle without court intervention.

Last edited by bustert; 07-05-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:37 AM
Ghost_Glide
Advanced
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Is it Seacoast or Rochester Harley?
Seacoast

Quick Reply: Is this a normal dealer response?