General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2015 Harley Davidson Forty Eight big issues on bike already after being bought from n

Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Aidan Mark Baldry
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Harley Davidson Forty Eight big issues on bike already after being bought from n

Hello there,
I thought it would be a good start to say that it's good to meet you all on here. I hope somebody can help me out. Anybody who can give advice or share experience. It would be greatly appreciated right now.

I bought a 2015 XL1200X "48" from new at Southampton Harley Davidson in the UK. I have loved and cared for the bike as much as possible every day since I purchased it. But I haven't ridden it in the last 6 months as it is standstill already. Feeling very disappointed considering it feels like it's had it after 3 years already! I've travelled roughly 6000 miles on it. So it is very, very unacceptable really. Anyway down to the issue...

About 6 months ago I went to ride the bike and realised quickly that I had no power at all. I changed the battery for a brand new one. Still no power...
so after investigation of the 3 main fuses, I noticed the red (20 amp) parts and accessories fuse had blown. So I replaced it and it immediately blew again upon doing so. I then managed to find that it was smoking from the right hand handlebar controls (Run switch, right indicator assembly). After stripping down the throttle grip and switch module assembly. I found that the PCB from the switch had melted at the bottom near the plug.
After stripping it down. I found that it had completely burnt out one of the pins from the plug. Me and my father are Aircraft Fitters so luckily we had the support to fix the PCB connector. The pin was bridged with bridging wire. Thinking it was moisture which had ingressed into the unit and shorted. Yesterday we assembled it back together and then got the same thing immediately. My dilemma is that I don't really want to fork out £365 for a new PCB for it to short again. But also, don't really want to have to take it back to mainland to the poorly staffed and skilled Southampton branch to possibly spend thousands trying to sort it out. I am an extremely competent mechanic, just not so clued up with electronics.

I was wondering if there is anybody out there who has had this same issue with their bike? And what had they done to fix it? Also anybody who could point me in the right direction?

It's really getting me down as I do love the bike but this has put me right off it. Such an expense for such little use and age already.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Much Obliged.
Aidan Baldry