General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Annoyed, need help with ECU

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:51 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

well, looks like a new firmware was installed which inhibits the read/write line or sometimes an erase pin from being accessed so you would have to go back to the program that installed it. the other option would be going internal to the devise, but you would have to know the parameters needed as there are many. once inside, with the correct pinout, you could manually apply the correct voltage to the pin to force it to the programming state and then try using a programmer to flash the data.
removing data by removing power depends upon the memory itself. once you remove power, the little bugger transistors become like capacitors and can hold state for very long times, unlike volatile memory.
if hd couldn't do it and you can find the source, looks like a new ecu is in order.
oh i love gravity fed machines!

Old 08-15-2018, 04:00 PM
eg78
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
I can't even begin to understand the logic here. All you did was make the guy unhook his battery for nothing - if you don't understand the system, why offer repair advice?
For the record, i didnt try this, i researched it first and realized this wont remove the map thats flashed into the ecm.

appreciate the advice none the less.

Last edited by eg78; 08-15-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:02 PM
eg78
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bustert
well, looks like a new firmware was installed which inhibits the read/write line or sometimes an erase pin from being accessed so you would have to go back to the program that installed it. the other option would be going internal to the devise, but you would have to know the parameters needed as there are many. once inside, with the correct pinout, you could manually apply the correct voltage to the pin to force it to the programming state and then try using a programmer to flash the data.
removing data by removing power depends upon the memory itself. once you remove power, the little bugger transistors become like capacitors and can hold state for very long times, unlike volatile memory.
if hd couldn't do it and you can find the source, looks like a new ecu is in order.
oh i love gravity fed machines!
i bought the bike 3 months ago from a dealership (not the one i went to today) with the full 5 year extended warranty. Im brining my bike to the dealer i bought it from tomorrow, and let them deal with this. If they cant or wont i will make a stink.

do i have a leg to stand on here? I mean they should take responsibility right?

Old 08-15-2018, 04:19 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

Pulling power from the ECM won’t do diddly squat. There’s a reason it’s called flash memory. Once flash memory has been written, you could pull power for a year and nothing will be cleared or overwritten. Now, if it were RAM, that would be a different story.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:38 PM
jhbr107
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"ECU calibration ID" DWA61705-000 i your screen shot indicates the bike was flashed with a TTS calibration. You have to get the TTS box from prior owner or who ever flashed it and may have it to return the OE calibration. TTS locks the ECU once installed, but can be returned. The other option is to send your ECU to Mastertune and have it re-flashed to stock. Or worst you buy a new ECU from HD.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:51 PM
eg78
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jhbr107
"ECU calibration ID" DWA61705-000 i your screen shot indicates the bike was flashed with a TTS calibration. You have to get the TTS box from prior owner or who ever flashed it and may have it to return the OE calibration. TTS locks the ECU once installed, but can be returned. The other option is to send your ECU to Mastertune and have it re-flashed to stock. Or worst you buy a new ECU from HD.
thanks for that. I dont have access to the previous owner. What if i purchase a tts tuner on Amazon, will i be able to use it to return my ecm to stock or at least unlock it? Or do i need the same tts tuner that was used on the bike?

Old 08-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,444 Likes on 1,692 Posts

A dealership sold you a used bike that had been TTS locked? You bet you have a leg to stand on. They need to either produce the TTS module/dongle, or get that ECM unlocked some other way, or replace it.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:04 PM
eg78
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tired
A dealership sold you a used bike that had been TTS locked? You bet you have a leg to stand on. They need to either produce the TTS module/dongle, or get that ECM unlocked some other way, or replace it.
ok cool, wanted to make sure before I start yelling hehe.

I just called tts, and they cinfirmed its a mastertune code, appreciate the knowledge here guys, thanks a lot!

Old 08-16-2018, 05:55 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Please let us know once this gets resolved how it all went. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 AM
eg78
Cruiser

Will do... In case the dealership cant unlock my ecm and doesn't want to help get it sorted, do i have any recourse? Would HD Canada take my side on this? Anyone dealt with something like this already?

i would think its their responsibility to either give me the tts tuner that tuned my bike or unlock it, or worst case, replace it.

Quick Reply: Annoyed, need help with ECU