General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Top3 reasons to stay away from Heat Demon - info from an X employee

Old 09-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Mozvader
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,184 Likes on 849 Posts

My grips are always about 120° f

Old 09-23-2018, 11:20 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,711 Likes on 3,490 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
UPDATE: Receive the grip warmers Saturday, Installed Saturday night.
I have aftermarket bars and the grommet for where the wires go into the bar won't go in (bars are to thick at the dimpled area).
Deburred it well. While I had it apart I installed 8+ Throttle and idle cables (mine were a CH to short and left locked turns would increase the RPMs).
All in all install wasn't bad except for stuffing all the wire back into the bars, so far they work OK.
The kit came with a heater for TBW also. Maybe I'll figure out how to utilize it as an *** warmer.
I drilled the hole for the grommet to whatever they specified but found I had to go one size up and lube the wires to get everything to pass through.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:02 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,893 Likes on 3,008 Posts

I think I'll plug in the extra heater to see just how hot it gets.
Maybe if it doesn't get to hot I'll stick it to the underside of the sheepskin
and plug it into the Battery Tender plug with some sort of heated gear control.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:57 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,750 Likes on 766 Posts

I think I'll plug in the extra heater to see just how hot it gets.
Maybe if it doesn't get to hot I'll stick it to the underside of the sheepskin
and plug it into the Battery Tender plug with some sort of heated gear control.
If you find the grips don't get hot enough, you may have to switch grips. When I first installed my Heat Demons, I had Harley Diamond Black grips, and they didn't get very warm. I thought they were defective, but then I did some research, and found out that the best type of grips to use with them are small diameter rubber grips, so I bought a pair of Avon Custom Contour grips, and they get HOT. I checked with an infra red thermometer, and I am getting around 135 F on full. With the Diamond Black grips, I think it was something like 115 F max IIRC.

Cheers!

Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,893 Likes on 3,008 Posts

Originally Posted by Clammy
If you find the grips don't get hot enough, you may have to switch grips. When I first installed my Heat Demons, I had Harley Diamond Black grips, and they didn't get very warm. I thought they were defective, but then I did some research, and found out that the best type of grips to use with them are small diameter rubber grips, so I bought a pair of Avon Custom Contour grips, and they get HOT. I checked with an infra red thermometer, and I am getting around 135 F on full. With the Diamond Black grips, I think it was something like 115 F max IIRC.

Cheers!
Ive got ISO grips, mostly rubber so they’ll get hot enough. I was referring to what to do with the extra heater that comes in the kit incase you have TBW.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:33 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,750 Likes on 766 Posts

Ive got ISO grips, mostly rubber so they’ll get hot enough. I was referring to what to do with the extra heater that comes in the kit incase you have TBW.
Ah... gotcha.

Cheers!

Old 10-11-2018, 09:39 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 954 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Clammy
I installed a set in Reaper's bars last year. One of the best mods I've ever done. I should have done it YEARS ago. Can't speak to how things are right now, but last summer, I had zero issues with the install, or any dealings with the company.

Cheers!
Who's 'Reaper'?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
Interesting screen name. No tell us the truth; is Ellis Island sinking?
It’s gotta be sinking because of global warming.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:59 PM
Pensioncracker
Supporter
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EllisIslandSinking
Here are the top 3 reasons to stay clear of this product. Sorry to break it to everyone...

1. Discontinuation of the retail heated grip kits. I would estimate by the end of 2018 that Heat Demon will be shutting down their retail sales. "Management" (I use that word loosely because the buffoons running the company have no idea what they are doing) only cares about OEM accounts now.

2. Company culture. The company was purchased by a new owner last year. He used money from his wife's family. This guy is a grade A douchebag. He gives zero ***** about the retail customers. He only cares about the OEM accounts. Since he purchased the company around 1/2 of the office employees quit. In a company that only has around 10 office people that is a lot of knowledge to walk out the door.

3. If you have used tech support in the past you may or may not have had a good experience. I can tell you that your wait time for help now is going to be at least a few days to a week. Interested to hear feedback on the current system. Tech support has been put as low as possible as far as priority goes in the company.

Cheers and good luck!
I can understand why hes pissed. He helped bring that company along and was proud of his old company and the product. I actually bought and installed those back in 09 and found the quality, great installation instructions and tech support outstanding.

But as with most company buy outs the next guy has a playbook to squeeze the life out of the company, lay off people, do things cheaper and in this case stop selling to guys like us. Its sad but i been there too.
After my owner sold the company a french man bought it and is half way through desimating and destroying it. I worked there 34 years and we had a top notch company.
Now its a shell of what it was. Kudos to him for telling it like it is.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,711 Likes on 3,490 Posts

I guess that old adage is true, misery does love company,