Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Topics/Tech Tips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips-59/)
-   -   Harley’s Master Cylinder issue...... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/1255975-harleyis-master-cylinder-issue.html)

MatteGlide15 10-02-2018 09:24 PM

Harley’s Master Cylinder issue......

I’ve got a 2015 Roadglide Special. Bought it brand new and have kept up with the maintenance on it meticulously. I’ve changed the gaskets on the master cylinders and have had the fluids flushed twice on both clutch and front brake. Winter time I keep it on a lift so the bike is level and not leaning to 1 side for an extended amount of time.

I do all these preventative things and the damn Master cylinders still seep and bubble up and look like crap. I’ve been told “They all do that”. I’m not an ocd freak when it comes to my bike. I’ve got chips and scratches on it from riding but this kinda thing just irritates me idk why??

I’ve searched and only thing I’ve found is guys swap out the stock for chrome plated 1’s and they seem to hold up a little better. Well my bike is all black so the chrome wouldn’t look right on an all black no chrome bike. Is there any other solution that I haven’t been able to find yet? Is there a company that sell black chromed or powdercoated MC’s or an alternative to the stock MC’s that will fit and work with the Infortainment system??

Thanks

roussfam 10-03-2018 11:15 AM

It's because you overtightened the screws, may need a new gasket now.

Jim

skid_pimp 10-03-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by roussfam (Post 17729029)
It's because you overtightened the screws, may need a new gasket now.

Jim

100% correct. Those screws just barely get snugged down, they are just a couple inch pounds if I remember right. It is a common mistake to over tighten them.

MatteGlide15 10-03-2018 02:20 PM

Like I said the gaskets have been replaced and the screws definitely aren’t over tightened. This is the 2nd Harley that I’ve had with master cylinders they have done this. Can’t prove it but I think it comes from the bike leaning on the kickstand and being parked outside in the sun for an extended period of time.

My bike is kept in a garage but if I ride it to work it sits there for hours. I know plenty of people who have had them replaced under warranty or swapped them out for the chrome 1’s for the same exact reason.

skid_pimp 10-03-2018 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15 (Post 17729518)
Like I said the gaskets have been replaced and the screws definitely aren’t over tightened. This is the 2nd Harley that I’ve had with master cylinders they have done this. Can’t prove it but I think it comes from the bike leaning on the kickstand and being parked outside in the sun for an extended period of time.

My bike is kept in a garage but if I ride it to work it sits there for hours. I know plenty of people who have had them replaced under warranty or swapped them out for the chrome 1’s for the same exact reason.

The only reason they leak is from being overtightened, debris between the gasket and master cylinder, or damage/imperfections to the gasket or master cylinder mating surface. Of all the bikes I or anyone I know have ever owned, they only ones to leak were caused by human error, or crash/drop damage. If you use a philips bit, not a screwdriver, and turn in with your fingers with a light grip you'll get those screws tight enough, if you grip that bit tightly with your fingers you can and will easily overtighten them, and using a screwdriver requires an extremely light touch or you will over do it.

roussfam 10-03-2018 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
The only reason they leak is from being overtightened, debris between the gasket and master cylinder, or damage/imperfections to the gasket or master cylinder mating surface. Of all the bikes I or anyone I know have ever owned, they only ones to leak were caused by human error, or crash/drop damage. If you use a philips bit, not a screwdriver, and turn in with your fingers with a light grip you'll get those screws tight enough, if you grip that bit tightly with your fingers you can and will easily overtighten them, and using a screwdriver requires an extremely light touch or you will over do it.

:icon_that: Get a new gasket and give it a try