General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Can read wheel alignment issue cause crooked handlebar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 09:20 AM
hahmmo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can read wheel alignment issue cause crooked handlebar?

Hi members~

I have a 2005 sportster that I bobbed out. Everything is good except top of handlebar is slightly turned to right side when I go straight. Its visible when comparing to front wheel. Bike seems to track fairly straight, its just the handlebar tilting that bothers me.

It is more apparent when going down the road, but not so much when standing still.

I pretty much ruled out front end, riser, steering stem and handlebar issue, did typical front end alignment process, but no good so far. Fork seems straight, but this I am not 100% sure..

I am starting to wonder if rear end could be the problem. I did measure from swing arm pivot to rear axle which seems equal on both sides.

At this point I am wondering if it could be rear suspension or swing arm isolator (shot rubber rear mount) causing vertical misalignment, leading to handlebar to compensate....but not confident about my theory..

Anyone with similar problem with successful resolve? Any good test to confirm the issue? I did bring to local harley but not much help..

Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated!

Last edited by hahmmo; 01-13-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:37 AM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,148 Likes on 1,124 Posts

I ran into this once with my super glide did the same as you measured from every possible point on the bike every thing checked out! laid straight edge next to wheels checked risers bars did everything you mentioned drove me nuts!! wasn't bad so went with it, not long after had a new rear tire installed (old one was used up) got the bike back problem solved? so it must have been a alignment issue that I just couldn't locate? or maybe had something to do with running old tire down to nothing I have no idea but its gone now!! good luck! wish I could have been more help but that was my experience!!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Originally Posted by hahmmo
Everything is good except top of handlebar is slightly turned to right side when I go straight. Its visible when comparing to front wheel.
Are you saying that the bars are not lined up with the front wheel?
Do you need to keep constant pressure on one side of the bars to keep the bike going straight?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-13-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:04 PM
hahmmo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mallard Slayer
I ran into this once with my super glide did the same as you measured from every possible point on the bike every thing checked out! laid straight edge next to wheels checked risers bars did everything you mentioned drove me nuts!! wasn't bad so went with it, not long after had a new rear tire installed (old one was used up) got the bike back problem solved? so it must have been a alignment issue that I just couldn't locate? or maybe had something to do with running old tire down to nothing I have no idea but its gone now!! good luck! wish I could have been more help but that was my experience!!
Thank u for sharinf your experience! I did change the tire but no change...

Old 01-13-2019, 02:10 PM
hahmmo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Are you saying that the bars are not lined up with the front wheel?
Do you need to keep constant pressure on one side of the bars to keep the bike going straight?
When riding, I can tell the top of bar is tilted to right side, and it is easier to see if I lift my body up a bit to look down on front wheel front wheel (no front fender) the top of handle bar is not perpendicular to the wheel..

I dont have to put constant pressure, and seems to go pretty straight with hands off..

But when I come to a stop, it seems everyting is lined up..

Old 01-13-2019, 02:30 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,353 Likes on 6,843 Posts

One of your fork tubes may be twisted (torqued) in the tree, did you have the fork tubes or trees off of the bike? Jack the bike up to take enough weight off the front end so the tire is still touching the floor. Loosen the tree bolts and see if anything shifts. Before tightening the tree bolts get in front of the motorcycle and straddle the front wheel, hold it with your legs and wiggle the handlebars back and forth a little. Then set the handlebars straight and tighten everything down with the proper torques and see if that makes any difference. Or your handlebar is bent a small amount on one side.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 01-13-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:13 AM
bigal51
Road Captain
Received 577 Likes on 242 Posts

Your handle bars are tweaked. I fixed mine by loosening up the lower triple tree and pushing down on the front end with the handle bars. Bounce on it a couple of times until they're straight. You might want to spray some wd40 on the lower bolts/screws and let set over night before loosening them.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 AM
hahmmo
Advanced

Appreciate input, but I already did front end re-alignment procedure myself, as well as by a harley tech.. but still the same. If its front end maybe fork..? This is frustrating!!

Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

Sure sounds like rear wheel alignment to me. Had same problem with my sporty years ago. Took a little tweaking to finally get it right. YD

Old 01-14-2019, 04:52 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Two things -
You HAVE to make sure the bars are not bent.
Next-
You absolutely are not allowed to use words as in "Looks like", "seems OK", for places where numbers should be.
Another word you can't say the swingarm looks like it is aligned
I don't know if Sporster swingarms have rubber bushings or not, if they do start there.
Don't do a rear alignment with worn out parts as you are wasting your time.
To do a real system check and adjust use 3 quality lase with magnetic bases levels, and a straight edge or construction string.
To start , lock your bike in a straight up position with a level on front and rear disk, they should be reading the same numbers. (use the front desk for straight up reference )
If THOSE NUMBER DONT MATCH, You are buying and replacing bushings, hemi joints -whatever to get it straight and hold it there.

Last edited by Kingglide549; 01-14-2019 at 04:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Can read wheel alignment issue cause crooked handlebar?