General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Removing a tight screw

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 AM
JensBobber
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Removing a tight screw

Hello there, I wonder if there is any good way to remove a screw that is too tight to remove by hand (allen key)? I've used all force in my body, but can't move it at all!
I'm gonna remove these two headlights and put a single one on.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:06 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,475 Likes on 3,899 Posts

There doesn't seem to be anywhere you can shoot some WD40 in , so if you have a soldering iron , I would press the tip into the head of the bolt and heat it up really good . Should help loosen it up and make it easier to remove . Done that with primary cover bolts , ect with success . Good luck

Old 02-23-2019, 08:09 AM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

What most guys do is hit it with a quality penetrating fluid like PB blaster, let it sit overnight is you think it is corroded in there, and put a ratchet on it with the proper allen wrench. I see you live in Sweden. If you live near the ocean the salt can get in there and cause your issue. Looking at your chrome is looks like you live near the coast. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:18 AM
JensBobber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
There doesn't seem to be anywhere you can shoot some WD40 in , so if you have a soldering iron , I would press the tip into the head of the bolt and heat it up really good . Should help loosen it up and make it easier to remove . Done that with primary cover bolts , ect with success . Good luck
Thank you, I will try it. Otherwise I might need a five feet allenkey. Might work too lol xD

Old 02-23-2019, 08:21 AM
JensBobber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2wheelwanderer
What most guys do is hit it with a quality penetrating fluid like PB blaster, let it sit overnight is you think it is corroded in there, and put a ratchet on it with the proper allen wrench. I see you live in Sweden. If you live near the ocean the salt can get in there and cause your issue. Looking at your chrome is looks like you live near the coast. Good luck.
Yeah I bought it from the coast last year in Sweden. So you might be right about it all. I'll check out PB blaster. Thank you

Old 02-23-2019, 08:32 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 713 Likes on 625 Posts

is it the two below the bar? if so, they are sacrificial, so use a pair of vice grips or a small pipe wrench and a small cheater if necessary. if you later decide to put them back on, use a stainless bolt, hex or allen, and some lock-tite blue. now if you can safely apply heat to the head, that could help with just using the allen key you have.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:38 AM
JensBobber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bustert
is it the two below the bar? if so, they are sacrificial, so use a pair of vice grips or a small pipe wrench and a small cheater if necessary. if you later decide to put them back on, use a stainless bolt, hex or allen, and some lock-tite blue. now if you can safely apply heat to the head, that could help with just using the allen key you have.
no it's the one screw below the forkbar where the "pointing hand" is. Yeah, I think I go for the soldering iron first. Hope it will do the job

Old 02-23-2019, 08:51 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Yes, heat will help your situation. Also, you can slip a small pipe over the end of the allen to create a "cheater."
Chances are, that bolt has thread lock on it, so heat will be your friend.
Good luck, and enjoy your reduced visibility at night (and day.)

Old 02-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Be sure that the hex hole in the bolt is clean of any debris and the allen wrench/socket is fully seated before trying to remove ... If you have the room needed a Hand Impact Driver would be a big help. They're available from most auto parts stores and places like Harbor Freight to Snap On ... Good Luck

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
Duracell (02-23-2019), Kingglide549 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 09:00 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Be sure that the hex hole in the bolt is clean of any debris and the allen wrench/socket is fully seated before trying to remove ... If you have the room needed a Hand Impact Driver would be a big help. They're available from most auto parts stores and places like Harbor Freight to Snap On ... Good Luck

Winner! Winner! Winner!

These tools are cheap and work great for breaking smaller fasteners loose. Just use an Allen socket of the correct size.

Quick Reply: Removing a tight screw