General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Brake flush at 10,000 miles and 7 months on 2018 RG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 02:10 PM
Smokin' Joe
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake flush at 10,000 miles and 7 months on 2018 RG?

I took my bike in for it's 10,000 mile service last week. The service writer told me that they "included" a brake flush at the 10,000 mile service. I told him that the bike shouldn't need it as it was only about 6 months old. The service writer then starts telling me that a small amount of air is introduced into the brake reservoir on each application of the brakes and that's how moisture gets into the brake fluid. To me it sounds like BS or HD has a really bad design that would allow enough moisture into the brake fluid to compromise it after such a short time.
When I picked up the bike the brakes had been flushed, or at least I was told that they were. I asked if the fluid was checked or just changed as a matter of routine. I was told that it was tested and the moisture content was at 4%. I could see across the counter to the work order and there was a handwritten note of "4%". I can't say that the info is not correct or true because I didn't test it before taking it in. It should have been checked at the 5000 mile service. If it was, it must have tested at less than 3% as anything above that indicates a need to flush the fluid.
Have any of you experienced high moisture content in your brake fluid in such a short amount of time?
What would cause this? (I don't use a pressure washer and my bike is stored in a garage)
How often do you check the moisture content of your brake fluid? (Based on the 4% moisture at 10,000 miles my brake fluid should have been changed at the 5000 mile service)
Before you start giving me a hard time about doing my own service, know that the dealer told me at the 5000 mile service that there was possible signs of fluid transfer from the transmission to the primary. They needed to drain and measure the fluids at the 10,000 mile service to make a determination. At least they said everything measured okay. I'll still keep an eye on it.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:35 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,616 Likes on 827 Posts

I thought it was every two years...

Old 03-09-2019, 08:55 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Flush it every two years . Every time you open it Moisture is introduced. Keep it closed.

The following users liked this post:
Smokin' Joe (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 04:02 AM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe;18093034[b
]The service writer then starts telling me that a small amount of air is introduced into the brake reservoir on each application of the brakes and that's how moisture gets into the brake fluid.[/b] To me it sounds like BS or HD has a really bad design that would allow enough moisture into the brake fluid to compromise it after such a short time.
You are correct, that is plain BS! Brakes are a sealed system...... thus why the master cylinder has a big rubber seal on it

Smokin' Joe (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 04:30 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

Car manufactures are now saying to never open your master cylinders unless there is a problem. And some are saying never flush, just drain and fill. Guess they are finding that once you do try to do routine maintenance there are more times than not that a problem is caused. Car manufactures I guess are taking the if its not broke don't fix it with the brakes now.

My 2013 Heritage has never been flushed and no problems as of yet. Ill probably wait till I replace the brakes on next tire change then do a drain and fill myself.

As for your situation and warranty, Id feel the same way as yourself and also hope for the best so as to keep dealership happy when it comes time for warranty. Especially with the sump issues associated with the M8's.

The following 2 users liked this post by heritageblue2013:
smitty901 (03-10-2019), Smokin' Joe (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:18 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 713 Likes on 625 Posts

glycol base fluid will absorb water anyway it can. but the so called 4% could have been factory install.
you must have made a target run, still on your back.
if this machine was such in bad shape at point of sale, could have asked them did they check the lemon juice?
remind them that it takes a lawyer to remove it.

Smokin' Joe (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:37 AM
Uncle Salty
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
My 2013 Heritage has never been flushed and no problems as of yet. Ill probably wait till I replace the brakes on next tire change then do a drain and fill myself.
You got ABS on that Heritage?

Old 03-10-2019, 09:59 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,423 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Taking your bike to a dealer for service is similar to picking up the dropped soap in a prison shower.

JMO - Get the SM. Do your own service.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Smokin' Joe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by YZR
I thought it was every two years...
I did too. It is supposed to be checked by the dealer every 5000 miles. I was just surprised that at 7 months ir could be as bad as reported.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 PM
Smokin' Joe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bustert
glycol base fluid will absorb water anyway it can. but the so called 4% could have been factory install.
you must have made a target run, still on your back.
if this machine was such in bad shape at point of sale, could have asked them did they check the lemon juice?
remind them that it takes a lawyer to remove it.
The thought of the moisture content being high from the factory had occurred to me, but haven't heard of anyone else having the issue. Maybe this post will have a more people with the same issue speaking up.

Quick Reply: Brake flush at 10,000 miles and 7 months on 2018 RG?