General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Airhawk: Good? Bad? Other?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 06:46 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts
Default Airhawk: Good? Bad? Other?

I am presently using the "Beadrider" but the beads hurt my butt. (I have little meat on my butt.)

I am not concerned about softness, I am concerned about keeping my butt cool and dry.

Pls let me know what your experience with Airhawk is. Specifically, did/does the Airhawk keep your butt cool and dry? (Dry from the daily heat of the day. Not dry from the rain. I am in S. Florida and trying to keep my butt cooler.)

Thank you!!

Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Your bony *** will definitely appreciate the Airhawk then. Just make sure you BARELY inflate the thing. Basically for max comfort your butt should only be about 1/4" - 1/2" off the seat surface. It'll feel basically flat and will barely raise you off the seat, but it'll distribute all your weight over your whole *** evenly, and keep a cooler layer of air between your butt and the seat so monkey butt will be a thing of the past.

I love mine. Last summer I made it 330 miles north of Tampa on a mid 90's day and my butt had zero sweat issues.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:35 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

If comfort is your sole criteria, follow the instructions above. The Airhawk requires surprisingly little inflation to operate properly. If you want to add "cooling" to your criteria, I'd slightly over-inflate the Airhawk to get a little lift and more area for airflow. The Airhawk is no substitute for a great seat, but it sure as hell is a welcome addition to a **** seat.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:44 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I use an airhawk on my long distance rides. I like it. One item to be aware of is the older model Airhawk seat cushions were made out of neoprene while the latest version of the seat cushions are made out of a cheaper and less durable material called polyurethane. You might want to also look into the Wild *** seat cushions.
If you do any motocamping, it can also be used as a pillow.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-seat-pad.html

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 03-27-2019 at 12:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
T-Steve (04-10-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 01:43 PM
rick601
Banned
Received 3,952 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I like mine...don't know if it actually makes things cooler and drier- just a hell of a lot more comfy.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:44 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
If you do any motocamping, it can also be used as a pillow.
Sorry bro, but anything I fart into will NOT be supporting my head while I sleep.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:57 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Sorry bro, but anything I fart into will NOT be supporting my head while I sleep.
LOLOLOL!!! Now THAT is funi!!!

Hey EVERYONE....................THANK YOU!!!! Your input is of GREAT value.

Still reading any new posts.

YOU GIZE ARE GREAT!!

--BuzzCap7

Old 03-27-2019, 04:28 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I have a medium cruiser airhawk, Maureen the passenger pillion airhawk II. We use them on long trips. For instance, we'll be riding from Idaho to Oklahoma to Missouri to NJ to Maine, then home through Canada to Michigan, then Sturgis, etc.

Yes, the airhawk is cooler than the seat direct. We also use sheepskins. Sheared sheepskin is cool in hot weather and warm in cool weather. When we are on the road for more than a week, we find the airhawk and sheepskins just make each day more pleasant. Weekends, 5 day trips with friends locally, say a run to Yellowstone, Lolo, etc, we just use the sheepskin.

i doubt if putting more air in would make it even more cooler, it would make it like sitting on a yoga ball. Minimal air just eliminates hot spots.

we have the Harley hammock seat, so we don't need the airhawk. That said, after a week on any seat, the airhawk makes week two, three, four feel like the first week. We do 340-350 miles days, so the seat time adds up.

The airhawk works by keeping the pressure over your entire butt even, so instead of being cooler, you just don't get any hot spots.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:05 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
I have a medium cruiser airhawk, Maureen the passenger pillion airhawk II. We use them on long trips. For instance, we'll be riding from Idaho to Oklahoma to Missouri to NJ to Maine, then home through Canada to Michigan, then Sturgis, etc.

Yes, the airhawk is cooler than the seat direct. We also use sheepskins. Sheared sheepskin is cool in hot weather and warm in cool weather. When we are on the road for more than a week, we find the airhawk and sheepskins just make each day more pleasant. Weekends, 5 day trips with friends locally, say a run to Yellowstone, Lolo, etc, we just use the sheepskin.

i doubt if putting more air in would make it even more cooler, it would make it like sitting on a yoga ball. Minimal air just eliminates hot spots.

we have the Harley hammock seat, so we don't need the airhawk. That said, after a week on any seat, the airhawk makes week two, three, four feel like the first week. We do 340-350 miles days, so the seat time adds up.

The airhawk works by keeping the pressure over your entire butt even, so instead of being cooler, you just don't get any hot spots.
TY for all that........did u put the sheepskin on top of the Airhawk?

Old 03-28-2019, 09:05 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
TY for all that........did u put the sheepskin on top of the Airhawk?
Yup, and it holds the airhawk in place

Quick Reply: Airhawk: Good? Bad? Other?