General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Wheel spacers on aftermarket wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:20 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Wheel spacers on aftermarket wheels.

I posted this problem in the wheel and tire section but got zero replies so I'll try it again here. I've got a 99 Heritage Softail and I just bought some fat spoke wheels to put on it. I don't know how to go about sizing the wheel spacers properly. The wheels are calling for an end play measurement of .004-.018, which is pretty tight. Do you just center the rotor in the caliper and measure from there? What about the front axle? It has a built in spacer in the dog bowl on the right side. I understand that people mock up the spacers using PVC pipe, but will I need a large to cut the real spacers down to the correct lenght? Who has personally done this and can offer some insight?

Old 05-19-2019, 01:50 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

the best way to set this up is to install the wheel and brakes with no spacing. once you center everything out on the front, then string line it to see if it aligns with the rear. there is some wiggle room but keep it close as you can. then you can use a caliper or a stack of feeler gauges to see what you need to each side.
the type of hub makes a diff. is it using tapered bearings or ball bearings?
wheel end play is the amount the hub is allowed to travel along the axis (axle). this has nothing to do with the above spacing. this is set via spacer internal to the hub. when the entire assy is tightened, the spacers, inner bearing race and internal spacer will clamp down to a solid fixture. any end play will be in the bearings and the lower end of the allowable amount is better. sealed ball bearings are pretty much a no brainer since you really cannot adjust them, however, the taper bearings are adjustable via the internal spacer.

Last edited by bustert; 05-19-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:27 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

The new wheel uses sealed bearings as pictured. This is the first time I’ve attempted wheels so I’m at a bit of a loss.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

if the wheel came with bearings and internal spacer, most of the work is done so all you have to do is space the assy to forks and check f/r alignment. use the stacked feeler gauge method and then cut spacer to fit, less work.
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, but the wheel came with 1” bearings and spacers. The ad said it came with both 1” and 3/4” sets but the 3/4 stuff just arrived today. The 3/4 spacers will need to be cut shorter to fit, then I still have to deal with the outer spacers.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

hard to engineer over the net.
do you have a caliper with a depth rod?
the 1" & 3/4" bearings should be the same width and if not record the diff. the diff will be added or subtracted from the inner spacer. the inner spacer should be a drag fit between the two inner races. if the 1" is installed, use the depth rod to get outside to outside inner race surface, you can use this info to adjust for the 3/4", the outside races should be shouldered in the hub. if this setup is for the app, then they should be good to go. you must get the inner spacer correct before sizing the outer spacers.
have you youtube the operation, it might give you ideas.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:43 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bustert
hard to engineer over the net.
do you have a caliper with a depth rod?
the 1" & 3/4" bearings should be the same width and if not record the diff. the diff will be added or subtracted from the inner spacer. the inner spacer should be a drag fit between the two inner races. if the 1" is installed, use the depth rod to get outside to outside inner race surface, you can use this info to adjust for the 3/4", the outside races should be shouldered in the hub. if this setup is for the app, then they should be good to go. you must get the inner spacer correct before sizing the outer spacers.
have you youtube the operation, it might give you ideas.
That’s very informative. The bearings are the same width, so I’ll cut the new inner spacers to the same dimension as the ones currently installed and start from there. Truth is I’m having my local indy swap the bearings out while he’s got the wheels to mount the tires.