General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Dealership vs DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:53 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,132 Likes on 3,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So do you,

Do you own services?
Change your own tires?
Change your brake pads?
Change you own handlebars?
Rebuild your own brakes?
Rebuild your front and rear forks?
Replace wheel bearings?
Do a top end?
Do a bottom end?
Do a valve job?
Cut valve seats?
Replace valve guides?
Bore and fit cylinders?
Port cylinder heads?
Flow Test cylinder heads?
Tune a bike?
Replace Valve seats?

I could go on.
C'mon, man. Do I have the ability to do all of those things? Absolutely. I have done everything you've listed, and still do most. Graduated tech school, in fact. ASE Master + L1 still, even though I haven't wrenched professionally since 2002. Is it practical for me to replace valve guides, bore cylinders and the like? No. I don't have access to that kind of equipment anymore.

It still doesn't change my position on what I stated. I don't trust anyone to do those things for me, but I have to be practical about the logistics of a project. I really don't know what the point of your post was, but if you think I'm just some kind of backyard DIYer that lacks skills, let's just agree that you don't know squat about my abilities.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,229 Likes on 3,610 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
C'mon, man. Do I have the ability to do all of those things? Absolutely. I have done everything you've listed, and still do most. Graduated tech school, in fact. ASE Master + L1 still, even though I haven't wrenched professionally since 2002. Is it practical for me to replace valve guides, bore cylinders and the like? No. I don't have access to that kind of equipment anymore.

It still doesn't change my position on what I stated. I don't trust anyone to do those things for me, but I have to be practical about the logistics of a project. I really don't know what the point of your post was, but if you think I'm just some kind of backyard DIYer that lacks skills, let's just agree that you don't know squat about my abilities.

C'mon man. Let's agree that I do know some of your skills now. That's why I asked. With that background, I would guess you can do your own wrenching. Particularly a service. Some here don't have that ability.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:53 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,132 Likes on 3,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
C'mon man. Let's agree that I do know some of your skills now. That's why I asked. With that background, I would guess you can do your own wrenching. Particularly a service. Some here don't have that ability.
That's fair. LOL. Carry on.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:02 AM
bmur66
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

With YouTube, the internet and a manual a guy can do a lot if he has some mechanical abilities. This forum can be a lot of help too if you are stuck. I have a hard time paying someone to do something I can do myself and I agree there are very few people I trust to work on my stuff.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:18 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

DIY here, Cams, bars, Compensator, clutch n plates, inner fairing R&R , CB, . I have let the dealership do some things that I could not figure out and a Indy do a Engine swap.
if I can do it and it’s on YouTube or in the manual and I physically can tackle it, I love to work on my own stuff.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 07-20-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:38 PM
Zedbra
Road Warrior
Received 901 Likes on 497 Posts

I just swapped out my bars and it was a PIA, took me a long time to figure eberything out, pull the plugs, run the internal wires, etc - but I got it done all by myself. Youtube is your friend for doing a bar swap.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:08 AM
tajar66
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
That's nonsense. How is taking money out of your pocket and giving it to someone else cheaper than not taking money out of your pocket and giving it to someone else??? If the job is too physically demanding or you lack the knowledge to do the job then pay someone. Personally I find working on my bike to be enjoyable so I do every job that I'm capable of. I don't however enjoy getting up on my house roof to clean out the gutters so I pay someone to do it. But I don't pretend that my time is too valuable to clean gutters.
Everyone puts a different value on time. You choose to pay to have your gutters cleaned that take zero skill. If I had to choose between riding and wrenching I choose riding. If I had to choose 6 hours wrenching or spending 6 hours with my family I choose my family.
if I can make 600 to pay for the service in less than six hours it would be cheaper

Old 07-28-2019, 08:35 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I get an intense amount of satisfaction by doing it myself. Did a lot of work on mine last winter and identified other things in the process that need attention eventually. This coming off season those will be addressed. YouTube and information provided by the mechanical gurus in here will guide me through that process

Old 07-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,014 Likes on 6,211 Posts

YouTube is great for DIY. Pictures are worth a thousands words.