Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Topics/Tech Tips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips-59/)
-   -   Fan assisted oil cooler CFM (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/1292194-fan-assisted-oil-cooler-cfm.html)

Notgrownup 07-12-2019 06:43 AM

Fan assisted oil cooler CFM

I was looking at the low mount Jagg fan assisted oil cooler for my 07 FLHTC and the product recommendation shows a 75 CFM I guess because the bike came with a 96” but I puta Motor from a 14 Street Glide whichis a 103HO and those years are showing a 150 CFM fan....Has Anybody had this experience with maybe a big bore kit on a 96” where the cooler might not be cooling enough because of the lower CFM’s?

Mattbastard 07-13-2019 07:43 PM

No, but what difference does it make? Any air flow is better than no airflow.

Notgrownup 07-13-2019 08:54 PM

Isn’t more better than less though?

Mattbastard 07-16-2019 06:51 AM

Unless you wanna split hairs with the actual air flow in correlation with temperature drop of the oil, then no. For instance, do you actually know how hot your oil is? Do you know exactly where you want it to be reduced to? Can you measure those values accurately if so? See my point?

Besides, how effective do you think an oil cooler would be when it's directly behind the front tire? (I never understood that...)

Notgrownup 07-17-2019 08:32 PM

Well I’m more interested in the cooling fans effect while stopped or slow moving. I see what you’re saying. I am just trying to get a little more cooling because the heat compared to my 96” is quite a bit noticeable.
In all fairness, I do not know what my temps are, this is just feeling the heat compared to the previous 92000 miles

Mattbastard 07-18-2019 05:55 AM

I see your point. I'd bet the Jagg 96CI specific fan would work, but I also agree with your logic that the 103" Jagg spec fan is designed to accommodate the large cubes. Bigger engine = more heat, usually.

One thing to think about though... Which engine would create more heat: a 103" in Michigan summer or a 96" in Florida summer? Heat generated is generally relative to location.

If it were me, I'd just use the 75cfm fan considering where you live. If you were in AZ or anywhere further south (think of the average location of use here. I know you put a lot of miles on but where is the bike used mostly) I'd get the 150cfm.

Notgrownup 07-18-2019 06:26 AM

Well although I’m not up north to negate a cooler or as south as you ,it gets hot here to a point that my oil gets hot enough to feel a drop in engine performance . My EITMS cuts my rear cylinder off all the time now compared to with the 96” ...

Max Headflow 07-18-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mattbastard (Post 18407693)
I see your point. I'd bet the Jagg 96CI specific fan would work, but I also agree with your logic that the 103" Jagg spec fan is designed to accommodate the large cubes. Bigger engine = more heat, usually.

One thing to think about though... Which engine would create more heat: a 103" in Michigan summer or a 96" in Florida summer? Heat generated is generally relative to location.

If it were me, I'd just use the 75cfm fan considering where you live. If you were in AZ or anywhere further south (think of the average location of use here. I know you put a lot of miles on but where is the bike used mostly) I'd get the 150cfm.

The motor generates the same amount of heat weather it's in Michigan or Florida. It runs hotter based on ambient temps.

It's hard to say whether a 75 cfm fan will cool better than a 150. The 150 might push air through the cooler so fast that no heat transfer occurs. It's a common issue with higher performance water pumps on cars. Motor runs cooler with less flow.

Some think that running higher oil pressure makes a motor run cooler. It don't.

Notgrownup 07-18-2019 05:58 PM

Good point Max...Hadn’t thought about it that way..

Mattbastard 07-19-2019 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Max Headflow (Post 18408592)
The motor generates the same amount of heat weather it's in Michigan or Florida. It runs hotter based on ambient temps.

That was exactly my point, guess I should have clearly stated it. :icon_slap2: :icon_redface: Both engines, apples to apples engine temps and Michigan may not need the oil cooler just because ambient temps are a good 20-30 degrees cooler so the engine just doesn't get as hot as it would in Florida.