General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Removing Battery 2007 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:06 PM
JHarley143
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Battery 2007 Road King

Getting bike ready for winter and would like to remove the battery. Has anyone found a special way to remove the battery. There is not much room to remove the cables both negative and positive. The space is very limited.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Removing Battery 2007 Road King

If its anything like getting the Ultra battery out -good luck.Once you get the cables off its a bitch to get the battery out.I would leave the battery in and get a battery tender on it.Good luck

Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it have a rubber strip on the frameabove the battery? Found a way to get it out of my Dyna this afternoon. Let me know if you want the technique.
There wasn't room to hook up the battery tender without removing it unless I clipped the negative onto the battery ground post on the frame. Like the plug in now.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:00 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

it's not a boat dude!!! Ride the damn thing!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:07 PM
als88
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just took mine out of a 06 roadking. i was able to tip up at a angle and take off one cable, tip it up the other way and take off the other one. kind of a pain but not impossible. good luck

Old 12-14-2007, 09:16 PM
hdlowryder
Tourer

I pulled mine a month ago. It was difficult so I made a device to make it easy.I left the battery bolts out and used a piece of 1/8 tube steel heated it and bent it 90 degree, Like a hook or an L and I used it in the bolt hole and lifted. Worked pretty good
Now I happen to be in the service department this past Tuesday and was telling someone this story and the service manager overheard and he said not to do this. He said that since I have an 07 with factory alarm I should leave it in with a charger plugged in. Yes, even in New England with below 30 degree days he said the batteries do not freeze like they used to he described the new batteries to be almost like a dry cell. My 94 with a wet cell battery is a different case that battery would freeze in my shed.
Plus if I did not put the bike into transport mode first, which I didn't the internal alarm battery will run down and come spring the bike will not start and will require a visit to the dealer.
I don't know if all of that was true,he wasn't trying to sell me anything, he happen to over hear my conversation, I thanked him and when I got home that night I put my battery back in the bike, thealarm was fine and I plugged in my batter tender. Maybe he saved me a few bucks and a headache come Spring maybe he didn't, but I trust him he has never steered me wrong yet.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:37 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A charged battery will not freeze, it's the discharged or weak batteries that are run down on charge that freeze. The electrolyte basically turns into water again from being discharged to that degree.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 PM
wolfydude
Cruiser

Hi HDlowryder,
Did he mean when you lay the bike up for winter it has to be left in Transport mode, or when you take the battery out it has to be in Transport mode,plus what does transport mode mean.
Wolfy
ORIGINAL: hdlowryder

I pulled mine a month ago. It was difficult so I made a device to make it easy.I left the battery bolts out and used a piece of 1/8 tube steel heated it and bent it 90 degree, Like a hook or an L and I used it in the bolt hole and lifted. Worked pretty good
Now I happen to be in the service department this past Tuesday and was telling someone this story and the service manager overheard and he said not to do this. He said that since I have an 07 with factory alarm I should leave it in with a charger plugged in. Yes, even in New England with below 30 degree days he said the batteries do not freeze like they used to he described the new batteries to be almost like a dry cell. My 94 with a wet cell battery is a different case that battery would freeze in my shed.
Plus if I did not put the bike into transport mode first, which I didn't the internal alarm battery will run down and come spring the bike will not start and will require a visit to the dealer.
I don't know if all of that was true,he wasn't trying to sell me anything, he happen to over hear my conversation, I thanked him and when I got home that night I put my battery back in the bike, thealarm was fine and I plugged in my batter tender. Maybe he saved me a few bucks and a headache come Spring maybe he didn't, but I trust him he has never steered me wrong yet.