General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

chrome pitting

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 PM
badmayonaise
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome pitting

I'm about to buy my uncles 95 softail custom. Lots and lots of chrome. has 2000 original miles and has been service every two years or so. But the catch is there's minute spots (pitting) on the chrome. Looks great in pics and even standing next to it but there is small pitting on most of the chrome parts. He's letting it go for next to nothing so it'll probably end up being mine regardless. My question is if I go ahead and clean and buff it and ride it all the time will the micro pitting get worse? or should I look into getting new parts or rechrome pieces asap? I figure get it and ride ride ride, if it ends up getting worse continue to ride or try and rechrome way down the road. Any opinioins or experiences in these matters? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: chrome pitting

Call it patina and let it go. When it becomes distracting (or you find a smoking deal on chroming or replacement parts on Ebay) replace the damaged parts. Whatever is causing the pitting (your climate'shumidity or storage area)will probably continue, unless your uncle didn't wax after every wash. This leaves parts unprotected and corrosion can begin, especially on the wheels. Turning wheels create electrolysis and need to be waxedoften.