General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Trouble Accessing phone's address book thru Harley's Bluetooth

Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 PM
HawgBound
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Accessing phone's address book thru Harley's Bluetooth

I use the Harley installed bluetooth.

I do have a question!

When the bluetooth was first installed, I was able to scroll through my phone's address book from the screen of the stereo. Now that I have a new cell phone I am unable to access and scroll throughmy phone's address book.

The phone still pairs up with the bluetooth system and I can use the voice activated portion and make calls just like before, but the phone book from my new cell does not show up on the screen.

Is there something I need to do to update the system to the new phone?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM
DanB
Tourer
Default RE: Trouble Accessing phone's address book thru Harley's Bluetooth

Tell us a little more about how the bluetooth works. The HK radio on my SE Ultra is supposedly bluetooth capable..but in talking with the dealer there has to be some $700.00 worth of add ons that have to be installed before it works. Is that right??? Now, once it is installed..how does it all work????

Sorry I didn't answer your question...but if you have a little time maybe you can answer mine...

DanB

Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 PM
HawgBound
Intermediate

That is correct. The stereo is Bluetooth ready. You still need to spend alot of money for the bluetooth itself. It is installed in my left saddle bag on my 06 Road Glide.

It works great. I love it!!! Its voice activated and you can program specific names into the voice activated system instead of remembering their exact phone number.

My issue is that once I changed phones I cant access my phones address book on the screen of the stereo like I could before. But everything else still works!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:32 AM
DanB
Tourer

Does it work through your headset? If a call comes in...how do you answer it? How about placing calls...can your caller hear you ok over the exhaust noise, etc?

Still just seems so cool to be able to do all this.

DanB

Old 05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
HawgBound
Intermediate

Yes it does work through the headset. When a call comes in you can hear it in the helmet and you are prompted on the screen of the stereo to either answer or ignore it. You use the existing thumb controls to do this. When you make a call you can either access the phone's address book through the screen of the stereo and scroll through (which is what im having a hard time doing now) or you can do a voice cammand by either spelling out the number you want dialed or by saying a name of someone who you have already programed in.

These are all done by simple voice commands. So far no one that I have talked to while doing eighty milesan hour down the freeway as had any idea that Im cruising on my harley which by the wayhas true duals and they are loud.

It works great. Except since I changed cell phones I cant seem to figure out why I cant access my phones address book on the screen. Everything else works just fine!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 PM
fotoflojoe
Tourer

What kind of phone did you change to? I had a similar problem with the bluetooth in my car. The phone was the issue and required a workaround to get it working. My phone is a Treo 650. Turns out, address books have a standard format, veer from it and manual operation will still work, but address book related functionality will stop working.

In my case, the workaround was that I had to create a "speed dial" list, which in terms of a Treo, is just a greatly simplified address book - just a name and a number. Once I created that, the car's bluetooth system swallowed it right up and worked as advertised.

I doubt there are any real similarities between the two, but the stereo in my car is a factory installed Harmon Kardon unit. Is your RG's system HK as well?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 PM
HawgBound
Intermediate

Its the same standard type of cell. Nothing fancy like a treo or Blackberry. Actually I think it is the same make of cell, just a different modeland ofcourse it isthe same cell service provider.

I havent been able to find the manual yet. I was hoping someone would have the answer before I start searching through boxes in the garage.

M.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM
jprice20
Novice

I have a Treo and my Bluetooth only will pick up the numbers I have in the speed dial, not in the complete address book.
&nbsp\\;