General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

kickstand let it fall over

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 PM
2005Electraglide
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pushing my Electraglide ahead a bit yesterday to check the air pressure in the front tire and accedentally unset the jiffy stand. Before I knew it the bke went down. That is the only time in 32 years of riding I have had the bike fall. If you study the design of the jiffy stand it is almost impossible for it to fail if set properly.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:22 AM
98 roadglide
Advanced
Default springs

your right the design of the stand works well, but if you manufacture crappy springs it will not stay up.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:24 AM
silvergoldsmith
Road Warrior

"What's the issue Harley should know about? That riders will occasionally not set the jiffy stand correctly before walking away from their ride? Should they educate riders? My '08 owners manual has three separate warnings on the dangers/consequences of not properly setting or retracting the jiffy stand. You may have reason to be pissed, but you need to look in the mirrror to focus your anger at the responsible party."

Thank you for pointing out the truth. In 26 years my H-D has never had t problem with the stand and it still has the spring that was put on at the factory. The first year I owned the m/c I would always rock the m/c after extending the stand

Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 AM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always make sure the stand is fully extended and that it settles down correctly with the weight of the bike. And I never ever leave the bike in neutral no matter how well it is sitting on the stand. I've had another bike roll off the stand three times while leaving it in neutral. And it weighed one hundred fifty pounds less than my Fatboy and was tough to get back up.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:27 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to say user error is a major factor in the failure.

Here is a tip. I always wedge my foot against the stand while I rock the bike over...I do this to make sure that the stand is as far forward as possible. Sometimes it may retract slightly on you when you just let it over if you dont have your foot up against it. With your foot there it cannot move backwards.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Geeez...

Originally Posted by 98 roadglide
i have replaced 3 springs from harley in the last 4 months. nothing surprises me anymore on these wonderfull quaility built bikes. LOL
Give me a F****** break. 3 in 4 months? Yeah, right.

CN

Old 10-04-2008, 06:32 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,866 Likes on 8,236 Posts
Default works for me.

Originally Posted by gunner11
I just keep my foot on the stand until the bike is firmly set. Haven't had a problem. a flat beer or coke can is good for hot asphalt. That stuff gets mushy in the heat.
I do the same.... Works for me!

Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
Give me a F****** break. 3 in 4 months? Yeah, right.

CN
that's what i was thinking. my 76 shovel has it's original spring and my 85 has the original too. put the stand down right and you won't have problems with it tipping over. it's not the bikes fault.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I rolled my Fat Boy froward a little, while I was standing next to it. The jiffy stand released and I just barely grabbed it in time. Since then I have been real careful that I have the stand pushed all the way forward and the tranny in first gear. I doubt if I will screw up again. Lesson learned. I forgot to put my kick stand up on a chopper I had. Managed to go 1/3 of a block and then pogo-ed around a left hand turn. Lesson learned there also. Now I always double check to see if the stand is up before I take off.
Both were pretty cheap lessons, since I didn't damage the bike either time.
Tom

Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 AM
98 roadglide
Advanced
Default crappy springs

if the spring does not hold up the stand in the up postion , and falls down i would say it need to be replaced. thats what has been happening. and yes they all have been purchased at HD. i am not the one who manufactures these crappy springs. no lie,its the truth !!! and no i have never dropped my bike !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 98 roadglide; 10-06-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: kickstand let it fall over