General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Pingel Shifter isnt worth the money

Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 PM
fast eddy h.
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish I would have seen this before I bought the Pingel

I am also a left leg ak amputee. I just returned from a ride around Lake
Michigan. The Pingel gave it up in the U.P and I had to finish the ride shifting
with my right hand. Not fun and dangerous. If anyone knows someone in
the Denver Colorado area that would do the right side shifter work, let me
know.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:34 AM
spiritoftheroad
Stage II
Default Right AK

I am also an AK...Left side. I also recently returned from Sturgis SD for the bike rally. I ride an 09 Tri-Glide with a Pingel shifter. When I had first purchased the unit, I did have some problems, the shifter would blow fuses...then not work correctly, thereby leaving me to shift manually. I had contacted the dealer about this and as it turned out, they had installed it incorrectly and screwed up the module. They had contacted Pingel, Pingel replaced the module, replaced the entire hydraulic/piston unit as well, reinstalled it with no new problems.

As I was at Sturgis this past week, I had the opportunity to speak with Wayne, whom is the owner of Pingel, when asked about the problems I had been having he stated to me that that is nothing new as most dealers do in fact install the unit incorrectly. He also had advised me that this unit ought to be installed by custom motorcycle race shops, as they are usually more intelligent than the average wrench in a HD shop.

After tearing apart my unit, replacing fuses, rewiring the pingel, I was also told that pingel does have a 90 day warranty but that if there are problems past that window, they would still honor it.

In all, when I had first purchased the unit, I was extremely disappointed, but after returning from a 3400 mile trek across the country, riding my trike, shifting gears with the pingel with no problems and no blown fuses...I am now a satisfied customer.

BTW / FWIW, Pingel is the main provider to Harley Davidson for its race applications...KlickTronic has no affiliation with HD whatsoever.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:26 PM
KenFX
Stage I
Default Pingel vs Kliktronic

I'm a left BK as the result of a nasty dirt bike accident. After getting rid of the dirt bike I needed to figure out how to shift my Harley (the wife let me keep that). I purchased a Kliktronic shifter for my Softail Deuce and fabricated a bracket myself. It has worked flawlessly for 5 years. I recently bought a 2010 HD Street Glide and I was considering the Pingel shifter until reading this thread. I think I'll stay with the Kliktronic which I highly recommend. Good luck to all you fellow amputees out there!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 PM
furymod
Stage I
Wink you guys are crazy

i've had a pingel shifter for 10,000 mile never had a problem when i ask about them to "people who know how to instal them" they say the ones who have problem are ones who installed them wrong. and if you check it out kliktronics in the same technoligy so before you start a cult take it to someone who might know a little more not someone who "has never installed one before".

it also does not advertise for just amputies for saftey i would install a hand shifter so if you do think its dangerous maybe take into consideration they are only as dangerous as you make them to be.

Last edited by furymod; 09-14-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Jerry Mitchell
Stage II

I have a Pingel on my Big Dog, Pitbull and it works great! I have not had a problem at all and love it! I was struck head on by a repeat DWI offender who crossed over into my lane of traffic and thought to of been a fatal wreck for me. I suffered many traumatic injuries to the left side of my body with the worst being the loss of my left leg just below the knee. It sounds as if the person with the problems need to find someone to install it that knows what they are doing! If it is not put on right it can cause the problems (even fatal ones) that you are talking about by putting a strain on the shifter causing problems. Why do you think you have had so much trouble with Pingel, because they know if you do not know what you are doing and the problems you can cause. Once the box is opened they will not accept returns and that is the way it should be! The Klictronic is so much more expensive! You should not get your money back and they are not responsible for all of your problems there cry baby. You should know what you are getting into before you bought it and know someone with experience putting one on or take your bike to Pingel and have them put it on and then they would be responsible? My wrench knew what he was doing and then took the time to go to a empty parking lot to make sure I got the hang of using it. Then he got into my car with my wife and had me follow them around the park there about a mile or so. He then stopped and made sure that I felt comfortable enough to go out into traffic and follow them back to the shop so that he could get a bike and go on a ride with me to make sure that I and Pingel worked well with one another. This was on the 7th year anniversary of my wreck and it was so wonderful to feel the wind upon my face once again something I thought I would never be able to do again. Thank you Trustee's Harley Davidson Larry and Garry! Thank you Pingel! Thank you as well Gail Dewitt owner of Klictronics's and the A.N.A.B.D. for all of your help and all that you have done for me and for helping others get back on a bike!

Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Thumper49
Novice

First i honeslty dont think the unit was meant for constant use , so for those who have posted i do feel bad as this unit is pricey, It was honeslty meant for drag racing and installing it correctly is very important, i have one on a 08 RG with a 145 S&S that i race and the whole reason behind the purchase is to keep eyes on the strip and not on levers and controls other than the shift switch and Rev light.

Not defending Pingle just stating i race a Destroyer and its a pain in the *** filling the air tank after every run , plus not wanting a air tank mounted to a bagger.

Its critical that the modules are mounted correctly and the sol is adjusted correctly along with the shift software being set correctly probley best said by the owner of Pingel and that its installed by shops that deal with this type of mod on a reg basis. Sorry about the bad luck with your units i run the RG on a daily basis but i also use the factory shifter unless iam in a race situation there are far better units for those who have been threw hell with a hanicap and count on neg issues period.

Fred

Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM
jjtriker
6th Gear

Well i have to speak up here. I have had a pingel shifter on my trike since 06 so 7 years 100,000 miles. the only problem i have had is the part on the bars a switch on the down shift button went bad.
I am sorry for you guys that havent had the same experience i have had with the shifter but, if it wasn't bor that shifter i probably wouldnt be riding at all.
i just bought another one off ebay and i will put it on my wifes trike so i can ride it as well.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:01 AM
SteveSturdy
Stage I

I too am a left leg AK thanks to a girl on a cell phone. I installed a Pingel on a brand new 09 Tri-Glide, and have loved it ever since. I ride my trike hard and my shifter never failed me. Sorry to you guys having trouble, but I love mine...

Old 07-05-2016, 10:22 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

i'm a left ak do to a deer taking me out. i was looking at the pingle but decided againt it because a friend has one on his trike and has to replace it every 14 or 15 thousand miles. he always keeps a rebuildt spare with him. he's got 90,000 miles on his trike. i ended up welding a rod onto the shifter arm with a **** and turning it straight up. i just reach over and shift it. 1 to 2 shift is alittle slow but it works for me and is super simple. it is what it is ,but i'm back out riding and enjoying life.