General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Pingel Shifter isnt worth the money

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pingel Shifter isnt worth the money

I will not recomend the Pingel electronic shifter for use as a daily aid in shifting the gears on a bike. I am a amputee with my left leg missing above the knee. In order to allow the opportunity to ride after my near fatal hit n run I bought a 2008 Roadglide new and installed a trike kit to it along with the Pingel shifter.

So far since the Pingel shifter system was installed on March 08 I have had the electronic box that controls the shifter cylinder go bad twice and the shift cylinder also replaced once in a 6 month period.It took Pingel 2 weeks to return the system to me repaired and now after 1500 miles of riding its not working again. Its not worth the money you spend unless you want to use it for racing only. The Klicktronic system is the only way to go.

I have fabricated a right foot shifter that I used for the first time today and with a few minor modifications will be shifting for many years to come the manual way

The following users liked this post:
leathernutz (08-12-2016)
Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see that you solved your problem.
Tom

Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

a little bit of American ingenuity, glad you are back on the road.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:26 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the positive thoughts. This has been a learning curve since I no longer have my left leg with a knee and foot. The new rightside shifter linkage is working really well for me. Just have to re learn shifting with my right foot instead of pressing a button on the my handlebar

Old 10-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Rastus
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info, I've been curious for a long time as to how good the pingel shifter was. Glad you got it worked out.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
wcking
Intermediate

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. I am a paraplegic and set up my 06 Road King Custom with a voyager kit and pingel shifter. Close to 13000 miles on it and I have had to send the Pingel cylinder back 2 times. First one broke the rod on the inside. Second one had a coil failure that blew the fuse. This one has been on for about 3000 miles and I'm watching and waiting for this one to fail. They also replaced the bracket because the pivot was sticking and it sheared the bolt off at the primary cover. I noticed at spot wearing on the cylinder shafts that is caused by the motor shaking at idle (as all the touing bikes do). I was told(by Pingel) that this was unusual but I know this cant be true. I have replaced the motor mount and I know its a typical touring bike application.

FLTR2008TRIKE, Why do you recommend the Klicktronic? I will say that the folks at Pingel replaced eveything to date free of charge.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 AM
spiritoftheroad
Stage II
Default left AKA

How long ago did you lose your leg? DO you still have a pingel? I lost my leg in similar circumstances. In April of 08, while riding my 2007 Road Glide, I was cross checked by a 98 Caddy. Left leg AKA also. Currently just received the 09 Tri-Glide, the dealer had ordered a pingel for me, but they have never installed one before? Are Pingels really that worthless?

hog

Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
dive328
Intermediate
Default GLad to hear

I'm glad to hear I picked the right unit when choosing my Klicktronic when building my Trike Last year.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:42 PM
goblish
Cruiser

I also lost my left leg above the knee in 07'. I have the pingle on my 08' and 09' fat boy never missed a shift with it ,just make sure you have someone install it that knows whats going on.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:06 AM
thinwater
Stage II
Thumbs down Pingel vs Klitronic

Hi all, I'm new to this board, just found it. I was looking for complaints about the Pingel shifter, as I had to replace mine twice within 2yrs time, only getting to use it 2-3 months in those 2yrs, the Pingel is junk.

I was born without my legs, I ride 02 Road Glide Trike made by DFT. I just had my Harley shop install a new Kliktronic today 6/15/09, big difference in what I can see and feel so far.

I guess my question to all you former Pingel owners, what did you do with your old Pingel Shifter(s)? Did Pingel give you all your money back? Did anyone file a civil suite against them? I'm looking to get fully re-funded for the 2yrs of BS I went through and having many problems with Pingel. As I see it the Pingel puts my life and others in danger when riding, when the system fails to shift up or down due to being burnt out. These Pingels shifters are made for race bikes, lets not have Pingel sell something to a person with a disability and have their life put into danger again.

If anyone wants to contact me personally you can email me or call me at 607-382-0974, I would like to have a few people file a civil suite against them with me.

Quick Reply: Pingel Shifter isnt worth the money