General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

77 Shovel 4 Speed Primary Belt adjustment?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 AM
ShovelSteve
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 Shovel 4 Speed Primary Belt adjustment?

Can anyone tell me the proper adjustment for a primary belt on a shovel w/ a 4 speed trans. It's on a composite bike with a 77 Shovel and 4 speed trans. From what I understand there was only a year or two that HD installed the belt on their FLH, I believe it was the Sturgis addition. The belt I purchased was a V-T 11MM PRT #20-0117. Belt and pulleys mesh together properly and the belt appears to be the correct length. However I'm not sure what the tension on belt should be from the belt tensioner.

I replaced the belt due to oil had leaked from the trans and contaminated the entire inner primary and clutch. The seal was replaced by the prior owner but the oil was never removed and the primary belt and clutch was never replaced. This resulted in the clutch slipping and grabbing hard contributing to the shredding of the belt. Plans are to eventually replace the belt with chain but for right now I just want to ride it without having to worry about the belt snapping every week.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Thank you!