Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Topics/Tech Tips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips-59/)
-   -   Clymer versus HD Service Manual (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/752667-clymer-versus-hd-service-manual.html)

Ron750 04-06-2012 01:55 PM

Clymer versus HD Service Manual

I had a Clymer service manual for my 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. It gave great directions, with illustrations on how to change oil.

I bought the HD service manual, when I bought my 2003 FLHTCUI. It doesn't have many illustrations, and I have read threads where guys take the wrong plug out when doing oil changes.

Does the Clymer Harley manual have better illustrations and directions for simple things like oil changes?

smitty901 04-07-2012 08:39 AM

For HD the Clymers is good for starting Camp fires buy the real Hd one

gatkeper 04-07-2012 06:35 PM

I like to have both. You can never have too much reference material

Pondskipper 04-08-2012 04:16 AM

The Clymer is very good unless you have MOCO kool aid in your veins.

Ron750 04-08-2012 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by smitty901 (Post 9631518)
For HD the Clymers is good for starting Camp fires buy the real Hd one

I do have the HD one. My question was does the Clymers have easier directions for newbies. The HD manual has very few illustrations, so I am unsure where parts are located.

Artlee 04-08-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ron750 (Post 9635124)
I do have the HD one. My question was does the Clymers have easier directions for newbies. The HD manual has very few illustrations, so I am unsure where parts are located.

Ron, take my advice on this - get the parts manual for your bike. Nice explode views of all the items on your bike. Really, if you get a chance take a look at one sometime.
As an added benefit, you can also order parts over the ph from your local dealer instead of standing in line, begging for help at the parts counter.

Stiggy 04-08-2012 06:09 AM

The parts manual is a great idea to illustrate what the Service manual is telling you. The Clymer is not only inadequate, ( at least as far as Harleys are concerned,) but sometimes it's just wrong!

Another thing I've often done is use the internet. Lots of good 'How To' videos to assist with the bigger projects to show what the manual is trying to say.

grbrown 05-01-2012 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ron750 (Post 9635124)

Clymer manuals are very general and miss a lot of stuff, although they may be fine on some routine things. The Harley manuals for your bike are plural - in other words there is more than one book. That is because they hold far more info than a Clymer. As has already been suggested you need 'volume 2', the parts book. You'll find exploded diagrams beyond your wildest dreams, showing every single component of your bike!

Captain Itch 05-01-2012 01:19 PM

The Clymer is good for toilet paper..