General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Color Match Paint Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 AM
xk49
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Color Match Paint Help

Found a couple of sites with "rattle can" color match code for Olive Pearl. I want to paint a couple of small after market pieces. I have a compressor and guns, but job is small and I'm hoping to just do the rattle can route. The problem I have is I tried rattle automotive paint in the pass with little success. The paint seems to come out way darker in shade/tone. I've tried a red metallic and silver metallic with both the same poor results. Granted I'm a novice with very little paint experience.

I did like three lite coats with a clear coat and it's not even close. Paint codes came directly from the cars badge and the place I got the paint mixed the rattle cans.

Is it the paint, the color of primer, my technique that's not getting the desired results?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the paint is not a base coat clear coat system -------in other words if you can have a store mix up paint that will color match they can make you a spray can.Most large napa stores have this setup.They inject the paint into a rattle can and could change tint to get a good match that way.The only bad thing is some colors aren't readily available other than in base coat clear coat

some of the pearl colors are real hard to match -----------------and primer,technique , and paint can also play into this.If you find a automotive paint store that can mix the colors they will be able to tweak it to match then all you need to worry about is technique.You can tell them what primer you need if any.If the parts are bare metal they need primed , blocked, sealed before painting.You always seal before painting and that helps keep the primer from bleeding thru causing a dark finish-------------look at House of Kolors website to see the difference in what a dark versus light base coat does with color

Last edited by 3408pete; 11-03-2012 at 11:44 PM.