General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

1000 mile service questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Zedrx
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1000 mile service questions.

My bike is ready for the 1000 mile service. I would rather do it myself than take it to the dealer. I have a couple of questions:

1. What exactly is the dealer "supposed" to do for a 1000 mile service.

2. What fluids are people running in engine, trans, and primary?

A buddy of mine told me a few years ago that if you use synthetic you can use the same fluid in all three holes. Is this anywhere near true?

Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

This should be free since Harley is only protecting their own butts from their assembly line. That one is negotiable on a new sale? Least should be? Since it's an inspection I would bite the bullet and pay if necessary to have them do it since you are asking. My opinion is if the critical fasteners are not looking lose they are fine and if they are loctite on them you need to be careful when checking not to turn them. Just my two cents. Then I would have a Harley OEM service manual for all the other services. Other then fluid receipts to support the warranty most all the other stuff is silly. Cables move easy? they are fine. Depends on your mechanical experience since just having common sense does not apply. If I were to let my wife carry my Harley in there I bet they would get a $1000 out of her. I do it and it cost me $70 for a major 4 year maintenance. My yearly is $40. I do only drive my less then 10K a year now however.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

If you know the difference between a wrench and a hammer, you should be able to do all "maintanence" on your bike. The $60 you spend on the factory manual is the best money you'll spend on your bike...

Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Zedrx
Cruiser

The dealer want's around $500. I am not confident that they will perform everything they promise.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Zedrx
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
If you know the difference between a wrench and a hammer, you should be able to do all "maintanence" on your bike. The $60 you spend on the factory manual is the best money you'll spend on your bike...
I have ordered one. I agree 100%.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save your money.

Syn3 - all 3 holes.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 PM
David Serrano
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use synthetic on all 3 holes don't go to the dealer when I took mine they filled all the fluids to the max and when I took it to get it fixed they didn't do anything

Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will change the oil and filter. Much beyond that they will pencil wip the rest on the check list and say it was done.
It took mine back about two times to adjust the clutch and could never get it right.
Found a Indy and they did it right the first time after I got tired of HD techs saying they did it.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Zedrx
Cruiser

I just got my factory service manual, 6 qts. of Syn3, and the oil filter. Going to take the rocker box covers, primary cover, and cam cover off for powder coat. Figured I would do it all at once.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my dealer do the first service and I know they don't do everything they are suppose to do. I asked them to tighten the spokes to specs and they told me they don't do that in the 1K service. I told them that I think they are on my bike...I then showed them my owners manual and showed them it was required. They agreed.

I had to have fork seals replaced under warranty. I got the bike home and noticed they didn't put the fork tubes in to specs. One was like 3/4 of a inch higher then the other.

They don't touch my bike anymore...and they are one of the highest rated dealers around...too many shortcuts for me to place my life in their hands.

Last edited by rooti; 02-06-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service questions.