General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Trick to removing starter w/o removing oil tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:03 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trick to removing starter w/o removing oil tank?

Got a 2008/2011 Softail. Does anyone have a trick to removing the starter without having to remove the damn oil tank?

If you've wrenched it before you know there are two bolts that hold it to the back of the inner primary. The front bolt I can get to relatively easily..but the bolt under the oil tank is a bitch! I can't get at it straight on with an extension because of all the crap under the oil tank (lines, etc). And if you take the battery out and try to get at it from above you can't get any stroke.

If you have a trick to getting it off without removing the oil tank, I'm assuming it involves some kind of angle socket with an extension...please be specific on your tools!

Thanks!!
D

The following users liked this post:
Chopperbob (08-08-2021)
Old 05-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Toofat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest way is to pull the tank, not that big of a deal. You will not get the starter out without removing tank.There's a couple of bolts on top of tank and couple of bolts on the back of tank. To get to the bolts on the back of the tank, you'll have to remove the inner fender. Remove the two oil lines on top of the tank via quick connectors under the chrome covers. Just slide the covers down on the line, revealing the connectors. . Remove the feed line on motor via quick connector. You'll have to cut the clamp off the drain line on bottom of tank. Replace with hose clamp. Make sure you drain oil first. Just be happy you don't have a 2006 and older bike. Those you have to pull primary cover off to remove starter.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

DO NOT listen to this guy above.

Easiest, fast way is to remove the rear wheel, unbolt the rear fender plastic guard (easy), there might be one little bracket to unscrew if I remember correctly and you're THERE! It's that simple, just did it 6 mos ago.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Why are you removing the starter?

Not being a smart alek, but some folks condemn a starter when it is not the problem.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Why are you removing the starter?
Broke the drive belt...had to remove the primary to install a new drive belt. Had to remove starter to remove primary.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:56 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser

I'm thinking I am going to modify the bracket that holds the battery (inside the oil tank) so that I can get at the second bolt better. Removing the seat and battery is a helluva lot easier than removing the oil tank and/or the rear wheel.

D

Old 05-20-2014, 07:04 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser

BTW, I realize I will have to remove the rear wheel anyway (in this case) to reinstall the belt....I'm just thinking ahead in case I ever have to remove the starter/primary again.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:03 PM
BikerWilly
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
DO NOT listen to this guy above.

Easiest, fast way is to remove the rear wheel, unbolt the rear fender plastic guard (easy), there might be one little bracket to unscrew if I remember correctly and you're THERE! It's that simple, just did it 6 mos ago.
That won't work. I have a 2012 FLSTF, and there is NO WAY that starter is coming out without at least LIFTING the oil tank. There is not enough sideways room to even withdraw the starter pinion nose from the back of the primary, and the bulk of the starter keeps you from rolling it over. There also seems to be no way to angle the starter to get the pinion nose out of the primary. I have already drained my oil tank and am about to lift it.
One of the BIG obstructions is the battery support plate at the bottom of the oil tank. If that was not there, I think you could lift the starter out right through the battery space. I am thinking that the next time I have the oil tank out, that bracket is going to disappear. I'd rather make a support plate with ears that rests on the TOP of the oil tank, so you can lift out the battery, and lift out the battery support, and get full access to the starter.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:24 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Old thread, but here goes...

The starter does not need to be removed, you just need to remove the mount bolts to the primary cover.

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 07:16 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Old thread, but here goes...

The starter does not need to be removed, you just need to remove the mount bolts to the primary cover.
Sounds like we're in a good mood tonight.....

Quick Reply: Trick to removing starter w/o removing oil tank?