General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Aftermarket Speedo Wiring VSS

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 PM
diabeedus
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket Speedo Wiring VSS-undnt69.png
here is a better one I found. So I see the VSS input. now I'm looking for an output of some sort, am I right? unless the 5v Sensor Power output is what im looking for. I should be connecting to the wire FROM the speed sensor apparently.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:35 PM
diabeedus
Novice

Aftermarket Speedo Wiring VSS-zv4br6p.png
Also, does anyone know how the stock speedometer wires up to the vss? I haven't been able to find anything on this. wouldn't it make sense that I could wire up the aftermarket speedo's speed wire to the corresponding wire that hooks up to the stock speedo?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

It's similar to my Softail except mine has the Control Area Network (CAN) high and low bus lines.

It would appear that your speedo gets its signal from the serial data line (LGN/V wire), now all you have to do is make sure your aftermarket speedo is compatible with that.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:28 PM
diabeedus
Novice

Originally Posted by JustDave13
It's similar to my Softail except mine has the Control Area Network (CAN) high and low bus lines.

It would appear that your speedo gets its signal from the serial data line (LGN/V wire), now all you have to do is make sure your aftermarket speedo is compatible with that.
youre saying i could potentially wire the speed sensor wire on my new speedo to the serial data wire that connected to the oem speedo?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by diabeedus
youre saying i could potentially wire the speed sensor wire on my new speedo to the serial data wire that connected to the oem speedo?
I don't know what kind of speedo you have but I wouldn't hook it up unless the instructions were very specific that it gets its feed from the data line.
I would make absolutely sure that the speedo was for that bike

Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 PM
diabeedus
Novice

I don't know what kind of speedo you have but I wouldn't hook it up unless the instructions were very specific that it gets its feed from the data line.
I would make absolutely sure that the speedo was for that bike
Its a Velona Daytona electronic speedometer for harley davidson. Apparently some what universal to all or most harleys with a speed sensor. I will email the manufacturer and ask a few questions tomorrow.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:54 PM
diabeedus
Novice

Ok. no word from Velona, but I did a little more research thanks to the information you gave me and was able to make a better guess as to which wire I needed to plug my new speedo's speed sensor wire in to. The VSS's 3 wires are the Power, Ground, and Speed Sensor. I looked around for a corresponding wire coming from the ECM for the VSS, but couldn't find anything. So I spliced the Speed Sensor wire [B], from the VSS and hooked it up there with excellent results! My new speedo is programmable so I was able to calibrate the speed. Not sure if the process would be different for a speedo that was NOT programmable.

Thanks for all the help! I'm brand new to bikes so this is all a learning experience.

The following users liked this post:
FezDeluxe (11-22-2022)
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by diabeedus
Ok. no word from Velona, but I did a little more research thanks to the information you gave me and was able to make a better guess as to which wire I needed to plug my new speedo's speed sensor wire in to. The VSS's 3 wires are the Power, Ground, and Speed Sensor. I looked around for a corresponding wire coming from the ECM for the VSS, but couldn't find anything. So I spliced the Speed Sensor wire [B], from the VSS and hooked it up there with excellent results! My new speedo is programmable so I was able to calibrate the speed. Not sure if the process would be different for a speedo that was NOT programmable.

Thanks for all the help! I'm brand new to bikes so this is all a learning experience.
That's interesting, I read the instructions on their website and they do say to hook it up to the Vss. I'm kind of surprised that they would ask you to splice into a wire like that.
Glad it work out.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:51 PM
diabeedus
Novice

That's interesting, I read the instructions on their website and they do say to hook it up to the Vss. I'm kind of surprised that they would ask you to splice into a wire like that.
Glad it work out.
yeah, me too. it didn't cut the vss wire tho, just "t"d it off for the speedo. no permanent damage done which is what I like!

Again, thanks for all the help. you're awesome

Old 07-29-2022, 02:56 PM
SINNER714
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,
I have a 2013 Sportster,
I got my speedometer wires cut off with a Wirecutter.I wired everything back following the colors on each wire. Now my spedo won't run on or the push start button wont fire up. The bike has power but the speedo and push to start button don't work. Any ideas?? Maybe a relay? I check all fuses and theybare good. Please help thank you all.