Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Dan Bartell Warning

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 05:52 AM
BluBeaSSt
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dan Bartell Warning

This dude is selling Ultima stuff, just a warning post!

*Long rant and Warning to others*
about 2 years ago I finally found a FXR(2) to toy with, and get away from Sportsters. The old 80 was really sluggish compared to the built 1200/1250's I had so this winters project I planed on going through the old girl and making it a new bike. I found someone on Craigslist that was selling 4 Ultima motors as BRAND NEW motors.
Dan Batell is the man that sold these engines. He works at Motorhead Machine Shop out of Owensville Mo, he said they used to be contracted through Ultima to do some of their machine services. They buy a motor kit from Ultima, put it together and throw them on CL. He sounds legit on the phone and for 2800 (No Ignition or carb) bucks for a 120 CI motor I thought what the hell. Meet him in Columbia, everything seemed legit.
Fast forward to about a month ago, finally getting around to putting the FXR back together. Going to put the ign on it, and noticed something in the end of the cam where the rotor bolt goes. It's a broken off TAP (Not a bolt a TAP). After about 10 phone calls and a few voice messages he finally text me back. Told me to send him the cam back and he would swap me out a cam, send me the gaskets I need to change it and all. Instead of just taking the pressure off the cam to get it out I yanked the motor BACK out of the bike and yanked the rocker boxes apart to find washers floating around in the top of the rocker boxes. THEN I found another washer hanging out about to roll in on a valve spring on top of the head.
At this moment Dan Bartell wouldn't return my calls about any of this, this made me question everything about this motor, looking inside the oil old behind the cam looked clean and new, a long with the pistons inside the spark plug holes but I questioned the bottom end. I got another cam (From Jireh Cycle NOT Dan) and gave the whole thing to Dave Adam's out in Grain Valley. He went though it, made it all right (Cases/Jugs were rebuilt but everything else is NEW, but it's not a 100% brand new motor like I was told) and now I'm finally going back together again (After wanting this bike done about a month or two ago).
I didn't write all this for sympathy or anything, just to get the word out about this man. Dan Bartell told me he goes to the Twin Swap meet's all the time so be on the look out for this man and he's con-*** ways!

The following 2 users liked this post by BluBeaSSt:
Allfields (04-27-2017), BezerkoBob (04-25-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 02:08 AM
Allfields
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is the Brotherhood of bikers that someone was mentioning earlier was saying was gone. Sorry about your problems. Thank You for taking the time out to put a detailed letter out informing and cautioning your brother riders out there about your experience with Dan from Motörhead Machine Shop.