Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

60 Sunday Starved Rock Galena Anywhere?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:44 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 70Sunday Starved Rock Galena Anywhere?

I carry along a navman gps pda that has its map software and I also put delorme street atlas on it. Hasnt got me lost yet. I was thinking of doing a saddle sore 1000 to Pikes Peak then try to ride as much as I can each day after that. Then on the back trip from Spearfish and the badlands ride straight home. I did it this year from there and know what to expect and avoid. Solo is a neat way to go you set the pace and can stop when and where you want and besides that the wife hates heights so she has no interest in mountain riding no matter how hard I try and talk her into it. . But if I was to go along the coast she would have to come along or I would be sleeping on the couch for quite a long time.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what my friend said also, he said if I do a trip with you to Maine the wife has to come. I heard it's pretty country on the east coast. Actaully, my wife said she would do that trip with a few couple, now that's a switch. All I know is that this year, I want to put some miles on that bike. A thousand miles in one day....... now that's a day trip! This year will be no problem for Xmas gifts, I've started by list and one of the things is a Garmin Zumo550. I've never been lost before, but it would be nice to get on the back roads and then let the GPS get ya home. When you were thinking of doing the out west trip, isn't there still snow in the mountains?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:53 AM
dv102
Road Captain

1000 miles in a day is a lot but if the weather cooporates and you get plenty of rest before you start then its not that bad besides you have to go through the corn belt to get out west so by doing a saddle sore to Colorado doesn't seem like a bad idea. Just put on the MP3 player head west and go. I know what you mean about putting more miles on the bike this year, I get depressed putting the bike in the garage after every ride and this time of the year you never know if it will be the last day or not. But last year I rode into January and hope to do the same this year, way I figure it it ain't much different then going snowmobiling just don't want to see snow or ice.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very true, never looked at it that way. I'm hoping to get out this sunday.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
nscrbug
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dv102 - Your "rough" route sounds awesome. You should definitely try and squeeze in that San Juan loop, if you can! I think the entire loop (starting in Durango, heading north on Million Dollar Hwy to Ridgway, cutting west across 62, then down 145 thru Telluride all the wayinto Cortez, then back east on160 to Durango) is about 230 miles and would require an entire day to complete (due to all the mountain riding). There is a great write-up on it at this site: http://www.cyclerides.com/ just click on "Day Rides" and it should be right at the top of the page. I've not done it myself, yet...but it just sounds way too good to pass up...especially if you're going to be in CO anyway. What month were you planning on doing this trip? I've heard that BeartoothPass can get snow at anytime...even in July and August. But I still want to do it...it's a mission ofmine. I have a friend who did Beartooth in acar (van), andclaims that it's way too dangerous to do on a bike...[sm=WTFsgign.gif] Just makes me want to do it even more just to prove her wrong! It's been called "the most beautiful road in America" by dozens of publications...and HOG did a rally there a few years back...so I don't understand my friend's logic in saying that it's "too dangerous". Heck...ANY road can be dangerous!

By the way...I did a SaddleSore 1k back in 05...was exhausting, but fun. It started in Bourbonnais, down I-57 to I-55 thru Memphis, east on I-40 to 641 north to I-24, then back onto I-57 returning to the starting point - 1,036 miles in 18 hours, 45 minutes. If you're looking to get the official certificate from the IBA, don't forget to get receipts for all of your gas stops...and you'll need witnesses at the start and end. But I'm sure you already know all that if you've looked into doing one and have been to the IBA website for the "rules".

Linda

Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 AM
dv102
Road Captain

Linda, I checked out the site and you are right that does look like a nice ride. But I think I will be pressed for time to do it. but it did give me an idea of a trip to the grand canyon which then would put it on the way 2009 possibly. The beartooth and pikes peak are the main goals of this trip so I need to route the trip to get there as fast as possible.There are just too many roads and too little time to ride them all.

I do know the IBA rules for the saddlesore. I almost did it this year coming back from Keystone, SD I ended up about 40 miles too short and the weather did not cooporate with me. It was cold and windy the whole ride and I was so exhausted that I decided it was in my best interest to give up when I got back to Joliet, if I was going to finish I would have ended up at a friend that lives where you finished yours. Next year though that is one of my goals to get it done. But until then I need to bundle up a few more times this year and get in a few more daytrips in.