Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Questions about lodging while circling Lake Superior

Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 PM
cruzin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about lodging while circling Lake Superior

A friend and I will be circling Lake Superior leaving Traverse City July 15th till ?? Anyone that's done the Circle Tour have any suggestions on lodging while we are in Canada? We prefer staying at the "mom and pop" places.

Thanks in advance for any references good or bad.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:44 PM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are lots of smaller places to stay.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 PM
ACDavis
Advanced

We're doing the same thing in early August. Are you going counter clockwise? I hear it makes it easier to get back into the US at the Minnesota border. Did you send away for the free Canadian travel guides? I got two of them ( www.nosta.on.ca and www.lakesuperiorcircletour.info ). Can't wait. We leave from Holland, and plan to go straight up thru the Soo, into Canada.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:19 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

dunno what it's like up there in August , but if it's anything like it is in June , don't forget to pack your rain gear . i had mostly done local riding , no more than 150 miles from home and all i had for rain gear was a cheap plastic jacket and pants from a camping store . worked fine around town , but highway speeds ripped it to shreds pretty fast

never had a problem finding a motel up there , one guy even let me park my bike in his garage . at least it was dry when i got on it in the morning , didn't stay that way long though

edit: even with the rain it was a really great ride

Old 06-13-2010, 02:25 AM
cruzin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ACDavis
We're doing the same thing in early August. Are you going counter clockwise? I hear it makes it easier to get back into the US at the Minnesota border. Did you send away for the free Canadian travel guides? I got two of them ( www.nosta.on.ca and www.lakesuperiorcircletour.info ). Can't wait. We leave from Holland, and plan to go straight up thru the Soo, into Canada.

We will probably go counter clockwise due to the fact that the Wolf's Head Tour will be traveling that same direction and we will only be three days behind them. I hadn't heard about the border crossing being easier in MN vs MI but if it is, then all the better to go that direction. (The last time I re-entered the US at the Soo, it took over an hour to get through US Customs and had to unload all our gear so they could "inspect" it.)

I downloaded the information from the sites you mentioned and will be using it as a guide. I was hoping that someone that has previously traveled the circle tour could offer suggestions of specific places to stay at and/or to stay away from.

I'll keep a log of the journey and post our experiences once we have returned.

If you haven't already checked it out, visit the upcruising.com website. Lots of good information on the U.P.

Thanks for your post.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:34 AM
cruzin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
dunno what it's like up there in August , but if it's anything like it is in June , don't forget to pack your rain gear . i had mostly done local riding , no more than 150 miles from home and all i had for rain gear was a cheap plastic jacket and pants from a camping store . worked fine around town , but highway speeds ripped it to shreds pretty fast

never had a problem finding a motel up there , one guy even let me park my bike in his garage . at least it was dry when i got on it in the morning , didn't stay that way long though

edit: even with the rain it was a really great ride
We've traveled the UP several times and the weather is always unpredictable so I'm sure the northern shore of the lake will be the same. We always pack everything from heavy duty rain gear and cold weather clothes to shorts and sunscreen. You never know what the weather will be like and it can change several times over the course of a few hours.

I'm glad you had a good ride despite the rain. Hope we do too!!

Old 06-13-2010, 05:55 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Lots of little motels and most owners will barter their nightly prices if you are only looking for a bed, hot shower and cold ac.