Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:44 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?

I have seen lots of bikes pulling trailers over the years, but have never met anyone who has ridden and pulled a trailer.
Just wondered how it changes the handling of the bike. Both at low speeds and highway speeds how does that weight change the way the bike rides. Any of you folks who have one, post up a picture of your ride and trailer and tell about your experiences with the setup. We are looking at getting one, but before I do, I want some opinions.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:35 PM
razors edge
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've pulled my trailer twice. both times 1,200 mile round trip. it pulls just like a trailer behind a pick up truck. you will know its there but its really not that big of a deal while pulling it. it is nice being able to pack more stuff for camping and such. we have the 400 dollar trailer from harbor freight. the only story i have to share is when passing through Houston at nite i saw a dead dog in the road, out of instinct i swerve the bike over to miss the dog. next thing i know a car pulls up beside of us and gives me this hand signal like the Florida gators football game. i knew that that's probably not a good sign for me. looked back and the trailer had popped open. sleeping bags and such flying everywhere. apperatenly i missed the dead dog with the bike and nailed it with the trailer. Moral to the story put a strap around the trailer to keep it from popping open.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default pulling trailer

Have been pulling an American Legend for a few years with an 08 RK and a 12 Limited. Have about a dozen other friends that pull also and have put thousands of miles on them, biggest problem is forgetting that they are there. Lots of info on line and forums just for trailering, best tips are buy one with 12" wheels or larger, only about 30-40lbs max on the tongue, ABS brakes are a plus but not a must. On a lighter bike the front end may be light for you depending how you load it but the dressers will do well, hardly notice a power drop or any braking problems just keep more distance and extra care on wet roads ! Motorcycle trailer index is list of builders, just Google "pulling a trailer with motorcycle" and tons of info will pop ! Good luck !

Attached Thumbnails Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?-tablet-pics-198.jpg   Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?-tablet-pics-524.jpg   Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?-2012-07-31-04.11.39.jpg  

Last edited by rlh7677; 12-03-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I pulled a Bushtec turbo2 behind my stock 05 Ultra with no problems. You have to take turns a little wider and watch pulling into gas stations because it is easy to forget it is back there. The only time ever noticed it was on steel grated bridges. It does take a little more to stop it but not a problem. Towed it for 40,000 miles behind the Ultra and 11,000 behind our trike.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

We've been pulling our Aluma trailer since 2003 and have well over 100,000 miles on it. There is a slight learning curve with a trailer but before long it becomes second nature. Coming into gas stations takes a wider turn. Look for parking spot that you can drive out of. Mine seems to be set up right because I never really pay much attention to weight distribution when loading. I just throw and go. The thing trails like a dream and never sways. I did add a swivel hitch and radial tire to improve the handling. We ridden in a lot of different conditions and have yet to fear having the trailer behind use.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

We have a Bushtec trailer. It's the same as pulling a trailer with any vehicle. Starting and stopping it's noticed, cruising you don't know it's there. You do lack some power on the hills, I may do a little motor work some day.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:52 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

What effect does the trailer have on you mpg? Do you guys carry extra fuel so that you keep your cruising range?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a Time Out camper I pull. You know its there, but it pulls just fine. Just got to leave room to stop. Got to pay attention when you pull in and out of gas stations as well. Don't see a huge drop in mpg's.

Attached Thumbnails Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?-4789439.jpg   Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?-20141018_180543.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Tons of information here...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...railering-100/

I have thousands of miles on this trailer from Harbor Freight and have never had a problem. The trick to make sure the trailer does not "wag" as it is being pulled in to have a trailer with a long enough tongue. Short tongue = trailer wag. And of course you want to load it properly, about 15lb tongue weight is what I shoot for. I just don't feel like I have to spend a lot of money on a trailer. It's utility, I pull it to a destination, unhook it and don't see it again until it's time to move on. I've got less than $400 in this trailer, like I say never had a problem other than the lights that come with it are junk, swapped them out for led units. I don't know mine is back there other than a little clatter from the hitch which is a good reminder that it is there. Yeah, I give myself a little extra stopping distance, as for actually pulling it, the bike doesn't act any different at all. All the horror stories you hear about the trailer pushing the back end of the bike around are probably from guys who had a brother in law who knew a guy who worked with a guy who wrecked his bike because he was pulling a trailer. Now with ABS linked brakes stopping is even easier. I asked my dealer about a hitch and warrenty and he told me if it would be a clutch, transmission or engine problem, pull the hitch before I brought it in as the field rep would raise a stink, but they themselves don't have a problem. Wind effects my mpg more than pulling a trailer does. On my SG pulling the trailer down the interstate at 70 mph my mpg would drop from an average of 42 to 36-38. I pushed into a 30-40mph wind pulling the trailer coming back from Sioux City one morning and dropped my mpg to 33. Oh and the cooler is always empty when in tow, it is for use at the destination. Don't need the added tongue weight of a full cooler.

Last edited by 472viper; 12-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
What effect does the trailer have on you mpg? Do you guys carry extra fuel so that you keep your cruising range?
Yes it will effect the mileage based on how hard you push it. Wind, terrain, and speed will all effect it but never to the point it would make my quit pulling. I consistently run near 40 MPG in the Black Hills and have hit 45 in Yellowstone. I attribute this to sightseeing speed. I've never found a need for extra fuel.

Last edited by Firebike32; 12-04-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?