Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Increase Rake on Ultra with sidecar

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:58 AM
mikedn
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increase Rake on Ultra with sidecar

Couple years ago I got a 2003 Anniversary Edition Sidecar for next to nothing. With short dollars for the connection hardware I hooked it up to my 06 Ultra, and paid the Harley dealer to make sure it was properly aligned.

I opted to do this as an experiment and I'm approaching 60 and, thinking long term, am probably going to convert to 3 wheels due to medical issues with my lower back.

I drove it for a year, but find it incredibly difficult to steer, principally due to labrum tears in my shoulders.

Would swapping out my stock triple tree for a different rake make it easier to steer? If so, what would be recommended? 5? 8? 11? any specific kit recommended over another? For anyone who has done this, how does swapping out the tree affect the connection to the steering damper for the sidecar?

Or, should I cancel the sidecar experiment and instead look at moving to a trike solution instead? I've test drove a few trikes, and, while they steer somewhat easier, I did not find all that much difference in ride quality.

I suppose I could invest in a triple tree conversion from a manufacturer like California Sidecar, and, if I find, even after installing it, the steering with the sidecar is still too difficult, spend the remainder of the money to buy the trike kit and install that, having already done the tree conversion.

Thoughts from the experts who have "been there, done that" ?

Old 03-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Lee H. Mann
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7 degree or an 8 degree would be perfect.
You might think about putting C/T on the rear when you do start riding it.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:03 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,544 Likes on 3,057 Posts

The shorter rake makes it steer "quicker" and with less effort but you trade off stability at speed, The longer rake gives excellent stability at speed but makes it a bear to steer at slower speeds too.

Last edited by Stiggy; 03-13-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:11 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedn
Would swapping out my stock triple tree for a different rake make it easier to steer?
I'm not an expert but my father in-law was.He road and raced sidecars for years.

Changing the rake does help with the steering.
I think he went with 6 degree trees on his last bike which was a 2005 Road King.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:40 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 665 Posts

Here's a thread on the subject that might answer your questions:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...t-to-rake.html

There are pro's and con's between sidecars and trikes, but one thing is for sure, sidecars are cooler than trikes. It's amazing how many comments we get when traveling on our sidecar rigs. The grandkids love riding in them too.

Last edited by deadhawg; 03-13-2016 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (02-17-2019)
Old 03-13-2016, 01:58 PM
Lee H. Mann
Novice

I had a 1999 Ultra with a TLE sidecar. My friend had a 1993 FLST with a Liberty sidecar. Neither had a rake at the time and both were a real bear to steer. I rode mine regularly and wore out a new rear tire in less than 5,000 miles. Changing the rear tire on a sidecar rig is a PIA. I sold mine and then he raked his with a 7 degree triple tree. It handled great and was stable at any speed. I only wish I had done mine instead of selling it. If it was a standard trike I would say 5 degrees was enough but with the staggered wheels it would only steer easy in one direction while a 7 degree rake makes it feel easier in both directions.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 PM
mikedn
Stage III

Originally Posted by Lee H. Mann
7 degree or an 8 degree would be perfect.
You might think about putting C/T on the rear when you do start riding it.
Any recommendations for rake kits?

Help a geezer out... "C/T" ? Not familiar with the lingo.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:42 AM
Lee H. Mann
Novice

"C/T" car tire......
HHI Hog Halters Inc supplies all of the Triple Trees I use on Harley's and Honda's. Very reasonable too.

http://hawghalters.com/triple-trees/.../prod_451.html

Old 03-21-2016, 06:37 AM
mikedn
Stage III

Thanks Lee.

I did some googling around for c/t conversions on '06 ultra classics. I seem to have found conflicting information -- some posts have indicated it is possible, others seem to have indicated it is virtually impossible to find a c/t which will fit on the 06's rim. Even of the darkside forums, I couldn't seem to get a clear-cut answer.

The c/t rear conversion would seem logical on a bike with a sidecar since you're not leaning, and could benefit from the stability and ride comfort a c/t would provide. Longer term I think this is something I would likely try on my bike, but at the moment, I think I'll end up passing on it until I can get some definitive information on it.

Going to talk to an indy wrench today to see if he can do a Baker F5R and HHI tree install for me. Although I have the knowledge and tools to do it myself, I lack time at the moment, I'd rather pay someone for the labor and "get it done" rather than fiddling with it myself over 4 weekends. It'll be a couple hours of work to reinstall the sidecar (done this myself before, hardest part is actually getting the sidecar to align and bolt to the bike) and have it aligned again at the dealer.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:18 PM
1perry
Stage I
Default OEM Adjustable raked trees

Does anyone know how many degrees oem adjustable raked trees are ? Thanks

Quick Reply: Increase Rake on Ultra with sidecar