Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Thinking of buying a pull behind Trailer!

Old 07-09-2016, 01:59 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaumann14
how much do you plan to use it? I put mine together myself, modified it for my own purposes, and my daughter used it to move some of her stuff to college (I use a ball hitch so I can use it on a car or bike). Never fails to start a conversation wherever we stop. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...-and-mods.html
nice looking trailer. As for how much will I use it... well that's up in the air. maybe two times a year, but who knows I could use it more then that.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Bubba's Bagger
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked up a small trailer, because my wife don't understand the concept of packing lite.

http://minitrailerusa.com

The following users liked this post:
mike in dallas (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 12:45 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bubba's Bagger
I picked up a small trailer, because my wife don't understand the concept of packing lite.

http://minitrailerusa.com

That's the one style I am looking very hard at. How does it pull?

Old 07-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Bubba's Bagger
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No complaints, I barely notice it behind the bike.

Last fall it was our shadow on a trek from Omaha to the Black Hills, down to Scotts Bluff and circling back to Omaha.

Next up... Omaha to NC; Tail of the Dragon and back...

IMHO, you won't be disappointed... AND you can ride up to the factory and pick one up, ready to go...

mike in dallas (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 12:49 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

Yep that's what I was thinking of doing. Great info...

Old 07-14-2016, 01:44 PM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a N-Line and never know it's back there. Little pricey but I picked it up used and painted it myself. Use it for adventures and going to the store.
Wuzfuz

mike in dallas (07-15-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Sobby
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had a trailer on our last three bikes, wouldn't be without one

Since our riding season up here in The Great White North is short, we usually take a minimum two week trip during the summer.

We never fill the trailer for the trip. For us, the big advantage of having one is being able to stop somewhere, and put our riding gear and helmets in so we can walk around without having to carry all that around.

We also have cooler on the tongue, so for our upcoming ride to TN, we'll be able to fill it with ice at the motel in the morning and have cold water available where ever we are.

As to the one comment on the swivel hitch, I've had both a standard ball hitch and swivel. I've never had any issue with a ball hitch even going through twisties like the Blue Ridge, however if you can get one with a swivel hitch, all the better.

Security of the trailer has never been an issue. We carry a vinyl covered steel cable that we use to lock the trailer to a tree or light post.

The one MUST I would pass on, is to get the wheels on whatever trailer you have balanced. The all steel, 20 year old trailer I have is so smooth, the only time I knew it was there was the other day when I had 140lbs of charcoal in it.

As to trailering itself, keep in mind your riding style will need to adapt. You will need to keep in mind that the trailer is (in most cases of a two wheel) wider than the bike, so any emergency avoidance moves must be able to allow the trailer through that hole you're aiming at.

Drop offs from the pavement to the shoulder can wake you up in a hurry if the right wheel drops off, as well as curbs when you're turning.

And finally, a few financial things: your insurance may need a rider for the trailer, and all the good folks at toll roads and bridges usually charge you the same price as a car pulling a trailer. Yep, totally sucks. We spent significantly more on tolls going from Madison to Chicago on the turnpike than the other couple who were not puling.

PM me if you have any questions or would like more information.

mike in dallas (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 11:05 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

Great advice. Didn't even think about the tolls. I did wonder about balancing the tires.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 PM
sbaumann14
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

we don't have plates on the trailer, so we just zip thru the EZ Pass express lanes. never had em send me a ticket, cause they cant get a pic of the plate.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaumann14
we don't have plates on the trailer, so we just zip thru the EZ Pass express lanes. never had em send me a ticket, cause they cant get a pic of the plate.
... and you're proud of that ???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a pull behind Trailer!