Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Thinking of buying a pull behind Trailer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:02 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts
Thumbs up

For a small amount of extra cargo.....

The mother of invention...

The following users liked this post:
mike in dallas (07-25-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I started pulling trailer in the late 90's. I discovered I could take all the weight of the camping gear and put it in a trailer. Did that for many years. This freed up the trunk and saddle bags for easily accessible stuff like rain gear, etc. And allowed us to lock up riding pants, jackets and helmets. A small trailer is all you need. People tend to fill available space. But my next cargo trailer will accommodate my golf clubs. So I'll be buying a 25CUFT trailer...or probably building one.

You can build one for less than $500 buying a small trailer (Harbor Freight) and a used car top carrier.

mike in dallas (07-30-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Bubba's Bagger
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just returned from Tail of the Dragon... Towing the trailer.

mike in dallas (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 03:24 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba's Bagger

Just returned from Tail of the Dragon... Towing the trailer.
Just curios if you had a reduction in Fuel mileage. Did you leave it hooked up all the time or leave it at Motel. Looks like the one I am gonna buy next year. I could buy now but it wouldn't get much use, so I might as well wait.
Thx Mike

Old 07-31-2016, 08:55 AM
Bubba's Bagger
Advanced

No buts about it, yes it does affect mileage. Loaded, the trailer all in was about 310lbs. I calculated we saw a 10% drop in efficiency. I believe this was due to running into too many gas stations selling ethanol laced fuels.

My bike has just under 16,000 miles on it (I prefer a couple yearly long treks vs. daily rides to and from work). That said, coupled with a lifter failure on the rear cylinder while enroute home - my mileage calculations could be skewed.

About the trailer, I've always been fortunate in that the motels will let me park the bike and trailer under the awning. If we detach the trailer, we lock it to a light post or tree near the entrance. The key: respect the hotel and the folks at the front desk - (nuf said).

Rant: 110 engine, rear cylinder lifter failure... Common issue. SUCKS!

mike in dallas (08-05-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

this is the lecture (lol) that I always give on pull behinds. The single most important factor: how will they perform when you're going 70 or 80 mph? How will they perform when you get a strong cross wind.

1) Will they hug the ground and track behind your scooter, or
2) will they bounce up and down and go side ways.

I've been on I90 going to Sturgis and seen a lot of bouncers. Once they start bouncing then they go left and right. This is major dangerous it can take down your ride. In order to maintain control of the bike they have to really slow down. I'm not telling you what brand to buy or not buy, but please do your homework and try to narrow down the field. I use a Bushtec and they are flawless. But I get they cost more. Bushtec has used ones on their website. Some are custom and pricey, some not.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:36 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

I bought a trailer from mini trailer liked that it was made in america and not just assembled here. my trip to sturgis last year with wife and trailer was great ! i own a 08 ultra and do not miss the weight on the back of the bike. she loaded the hell out of it ( 2 week 5 000 mile trip) i ran at 80 -85 out west and did not know it was there ! i keep the tounge weight about 30 lbs and added the swivel hitch and spare tire when i bought it. i should have bought one years ago ! buy a fish scale to check tongue weight . i also put airline tracks from US CARGO on the inside to strap my luggage , a small cooler fits great on the carrier and is very convienant to have . give extra room for breaking and watch the poles at gas stations , i also put a vinyl coated chain and lock to something at motes. if you buy one you will not regret it mini trailer use 918 225 0708

Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Bubba's Bagger
Advanced

-so how'd you mount the airline tracks? On the side or on the floor of the trailer?

Old 08-04-2016, 07:31 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

www.uscargocontrol.com I BOUGHT THE 4 FT TRACKS mounted to inside of trailer on the floor about 1/4 of the width on each side to keep her stuff from moving around look at site and then motorcycle tie down system I simply bolted to floor using silicone on the flat washers and nuts under the trailer . nothing moves in turns or even hard braking lots of luck you will be glad you bought one !! mine is the same as the one from mike in dallas. love it and well made by americans with american parts !!!!!!

Old 08-05-2016, 02:05 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by madmustang4
this is the lecture (lol) that I always give on pull behinds. The single most important factor: how will they perform when you're going 70 or 80 mph? How will they perform when you get a strong cross wind.

1) Will they hug the ground and track behind your scooter, or
2) will they bounce up and down and go side ways.

I've been on I90 going to Sturgis and seen a lot of bouncers. Once they start bouncing then they go left and right. This is major dangerous it can take down your ride. In order to maintain control of the bike they have to really slow down. I'm not telling you what brand to buy or not buy, but please do your homework and try to narrow down the field. I use a Bushtec and they are flawless. But I get they cost more. Bushtec has used ones on their website. Some are custom and pricey, some not.
My problem is forking out so much $$$ for the Bushtec. It wont get used but once maybe twice a year. Good advice though. not gonna shell out any money till early next year. just getting as much info as I can. I know now that the Tongue weight is very important. Thanks Mike

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a pull behind Trailer!