Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Frankenstein conversion is complete

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 04:12 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default to ncbandit

bandit
Gerald Martin here. We have communicated before. Just to let you know I finally found the sporty I have been looking for. Its a 2005 883 low. I am going to put a hammerhead big bore kit on it and turn it into a Frankenstein Trike. I think I am going to like it more than the freewheeler I have now. I am going to do the motor this summer and will trike it, paint it and do all the rest next winter. I am very exited about doing this and am sure it will turn out well
Ride safe this summer.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:52 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey Gerald,

Great to hear from you. That project sounds like a lot of fun and I would love to start a project like that. Do you have a look you are after. There are a lot of cool pics on the Web of triked out sportsters, some with ape hangers, springer seats, and giant wheels. Can't wait to see yours when done.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:01 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Default frankenstein sporty

Originally Posted by NCBANDIT
Hey Gerald,

Great to hear from you. That project sounds like a lot of fun and I would love to start a project like that. Do you have a look you are after. There are a lot of cool pics on the Web of triked out sportsters, some with ape hangers, springer seats, and giant wheels. Can't wait to see yours when done.
It will have the Frankenstein sporty conversion kit, the wheels, fork sliders, brake calipers, triple trees, 14 inch apes, sissy bar, carrier, gear cover and primary cover will be powder coated shiny black. The paint will be bright red with gold flakes. Also a gold stripe will go down the center of the tank and fenders. The side covers will be also red with gold flakes. On one side cover I will pin stripe in my nickname DOC in a darker red so it will be visible but have to be looked at the right way to see it. There will also be a lot of stuff from DK Customs, like speedo relocation, coil and ignition relocation just to name a few. Also the motor will have the 1275 basic big bore kit by Hammer head in Sand Point Idaho. It is going to be a fun project. I will not be starting the trike conversion till the fall but the rest will be done slowly this summer. I have to learn how to post pictures of my progress

Last edited by gerald martin; 04-17-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:25 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by gerald martin
It will have the Frankenstein sporty conversion kit, the wheels, fork sliders, brake calipers, triple trees, 14 inch apes, sissy bar, carrier, gear cover and primary cover will be powder coated shiny black. The paint will be bright red with gold flakes. Also a gold stripe will go down the center of the tank and fenders. The side covers will be also red with gold flakes. On one side cover I will pin stripe in my nickname DOC in a darker red so it will be visible but have to be looked at the right way to see it. There will also be a lot of stuff from DK Customs, like speedo relocation, coil and ignition relocation just to name a few. Also the motor will have the 1275 basic big bore kit by Hammer head in Sand Point Idaho. It is going to be a fun project. I will not be starting the trike conversion till the fall but the rest will be done slowly this summer. I have to learn how to post pictures of my progress

Wow!! that is going to be one awesome ride. Yes, please figure out how to post pictures because we definitely want to see this build.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Those are some cool looking trikes. They just remind me a little to much of the early atv's which were three wheel atc's. Busted my butt more than once in the woods cornering hard and have to brake harder than I knew I should.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:59 PM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I hope your joking our trikes are Nothing like that toy.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:49 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by motohaid
Those are some cool looking trikes. They just remind me a little to much of the early atv's which were three wheel atc's. Busted my butt more than once in the woods cornering hard and have to brake harder than I knew I should.

I can see where you would think that since those 3 wheelers would flip in a heart beat. These are unbelievably stable. Mine is wide enough with a low center of gravity so you can't raise a wheel if you tried. If I take a corner too fast the front wheel will skip a little. I will fly off the trike due to centrifugal force before a wheel will come up. I have heard of tri-glides raising a wheel though, since the center of gravity is much higher and it has narrow rear wheels.

If you ride one you will know what I mean. Addicting fun.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:31 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Default conversion

I can see where you would think that since those 3 wheelers would flip in a heart beat. These are unbelievably stable. Mine is wide enough with a low center of gravity so you can't raise a wheel if you tried. If I take a corner too fast the front wheel will skip a little. I will fly off the trike due to centrifugal force before a wheel will come up. I have heard of tri-glides raising a wheel though, since the center of gravity is much higher and it has narrow rear wheels.

Your trike I believe is the 38 inch wide axle. The one I am building will have a 34 inch wide axle. Although mine will be a little bit narrower than yours I have never heard of a sportster trike lifting a wheel or tipping over. My freewheeler has a higher center of gravity but still I think the only way you could tip it is by sliding into a curb going around a very sharp corner at a vey high rate of speed. I have actually slid the rear end on dry pavement going around a corner too fast. Scared the s*** out of me but still didn't lift or tip

The following users liked this post:
NCBANDIT (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 07:56 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

They look way cool and probably wouldn't take long to get used to riding it. I bet you get more respect from cage drivers than a two wheeler. I wonder when someone is going to come up with a kit to put two wheels on the front. That would be a badass atv.

Hey Bandit don't get your panties in a wad. I think they are really cool and I didn't mean to sound like I was talking down on em cuz I wuzant. I am glad to hear they are really stable but the three wheel ATC's weren't toys. They were just built for a different purpose. And evolved into the ATV's we have today.

Last edited by motohaid; 04-25-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:17 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by motohaid
They look way cool and probably wouldn't take long to get used to riding it. I bet you get more respect from cage drivers than a two wheeler. I wonder when someone is going to come up with a kit to put two wheels on the front. That would be a badass atv.

Hey Bandit don't get your panties in a wad. I think they are really cool and I didn't mean to sound like I was talking down on em cuz I wuzant. I am glad to hear they are really stable but the three wheel ATC's weren't toys. They were just built for a different purpose. And evolved into the ATV's we have today.
LOL!! No waded panties here. I didn't take it that way at all. I was just trying to be informative. I believe the previous post to mine mentioned toys.

Quick Reply: Frankenstein conversion is complete