Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

receiver style trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 09:15 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought a used Rivco from a member here.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:25 PM
musicmanray
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the N-Line hitch in chrome to go on my 2014 Ultra Limited. It looks good from the back in the pics I've seen, but I can't find any pics of the hitch off the bike or installation instructions. I like the receiver hitch idea so I can swap it with my little car hitch when needed. How is it attached to the bike? How many points of connection? I saw ones from Krome Werks with only two bolts per side. I'll be pulling a Time Out Deluxe camper trailer, so would like the ones that attach with two bolts to the frame and at the saddle bag supports. Does the N-Line do that? Anyone? Anyone?

Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I'm also a fan of the McHitch and have one on my 2011 Ultra.
Another option is a hitch from Khrome Werks. Don't know anything about them though.

http://www.khromewerks.com/shop/detail/720550
The Khrome Werks is the one I have. Fit & finish are outstanding. If you want a hidden hitch, this ain't it. If you want a strong and reliable easy to use hitch, this is it.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:29 AM
DANNER55
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

N line make a great hitch. You need to contact them for instructions & better pics. Receiver hitches are not that common now. I run 2 hitches on 2 Harleys, N line & Mc Hitch. McHitch is no longer in production because of health issues. I had an N line trailer, & just sold it & the buyer just bought a hitch from N line for his 16 CVO. I like the receiver hitch as I have more options with it.

The following users liked this post:
musicmanray (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 04:58 PM
musicmanray
3rd Gear

Bought the N-Line. Pricey. Easy Install. Looks great and I can exchange the hitch with the small receiver on my car if I want to pull the trailer with that. But, they don't have any way to hook up the safety chains. I plan to make a piece from bar stock to fit under the ball crossways with holes drilled for the chain hooks.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:13 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by musicmanray
I can exchange the hitch with the small receiver on my car if I want to pull the trailer with that.
this is a great point and one I considered when building my bike trailer.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:37 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by show-n-go
I am looking for a hitch, My old bike had one from MC Hitch USA, it appears that he is out for medical reasons, I have been waiting since December with no luck in reaching them. So i am looking for recommendations on which brand to get that is the least noticeable when receiver is removed. I can not use the vertical kind as i have a luggage box that slides in versus a trailer. I spent hours on google and ebay which left me with more questions than answers as most do not have more than one picture, If they dont show it on a bike I have a hard time spending $300-$400 on it.

So lets hear it? What brand hitch do you have and do you have a pic of it on your bike.

I also tried searching on this site before posting with zero luck.

I tried to buy a hitch through MCHITCH in June 2016, never heard back from them then and had to file a charge back through Paypal. I do not think he survived the surgery.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:25 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by musicmanray
But, they don't have any way to hook up the safety chains. I plan to make a piece from bar stock to fit under the ball crossways with holes drilled for the chain hooks.
Another option is to call Bushtec and order one of their safety chain hangers. They don't list the safety chain hanger on their webpage, but I know they sell them. I think they were $5. I purchased two of them to install on different receivers. One of my receivers has a ball for my Aspen pop-up camper and the other receiver has a pin for my Bushtec cargo trailer.

https://store.bushtec.com/product-p/98932000.htm

Old 07-01-2017, 10:37 AM
DANNER55
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I solved the safety chain issue by welding a heavy chain link to the bottom of the receiver. Cost zero!

Old 07-01-2017, 11:42 AM
musicmanray
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DANNER55
I solved the safety chain issue by welding a heavy chain link to the bottom of the receiver. Cost zero!
That's about like what I've decided on. I have a hitch that was put on my convertible before I bought it, presumably for a bicycle rack or something similar. Examining it, there is a heavy wire loop welded underneath to attach safety chains to. Gonna have my son weld my bike hitch the same way.

Quick Reply: receiver style trailer hitch