Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:21 PM
big_matt_sfv
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums, never been one to really use them. But I feel this information needs to get out there!

I bought a 2003 Road King for my first bike, and then started riding with a club a little after. My bike was lowered, chromed out, and had 22" apes on it with true dual exhaust and Vance and Hines Pro-Pipes. The motor was bone stock. It was basically about the worst club bike you could imagine. It was slow, couldn't turn, and had terrible handling characteristics with a crazy wobble when leaning into soft turns at about 80 mph.

I ended up wrecking the bike when I got pinched between two trucks while splitting lanes. Because of the sentimental value, I just couldn't let the insurance take it, so I kept it. (bad financial move) The frame was straight, and the motor turned over with no leaks. I removed the nacelle, since it was trashed, replaced the neck bearings, and mounted a dyna headlight with a ghetto, homemade triple tree clamp and headlight block. Factory 47 actually saw the accident, and gave me a set of Evil T bars for free! So I made a trip to Oakland and also to just south of Yosemite like that.

Then I had a lifter collapse. So it went under the knife. I removed the front fender, bars, saddlebags and supports, exhaust, rear turn signal bar, and rear shocks. I chopped the rear fender down to just under the tail light, chopped the side covers to match the "V" shape of the frame (essentially made my own FXR style side covers, installed 18" West Coast T Bars MX bars, JD Fabs coffin cut handguards, HD LED turn signal mirrors, Progressive 13.5" rear shocks, Progressive heavy duty fork springs, a custom sissy bar, and Joker Machine MX floorboards.

I then tore the motor down with a brother of mine, and took the time to do an S&S 97" big bore kit with an HD gear drive kit and Screamin Eagle cams. I was looking for an exhaust that would mount to the transmission instead of the saddlebag support, as I did not have those anymore, and all I could find were $1700 tig welded pipes. As I said before, this is my club bike, and I ride about 40k miles a year on it, so spending a quarter of the worth of the bike on a pipe did not make sense. I ended up going with an 'El Cheap-o" Dan Moto pipe in black. It ran me $300 shipped, I get great torque out of it, and it sounds healthy. The coating on the pipe is cheap, and has chips in it, and it does not have heat shields, so it gets hot as a mother. So far, 8,000 miles later, I am more than happy with the purchase.

So I rode it around as is, looking like an FXR and a bagger had a baby, and I was stoked on it. People called it ugly, but it would outrun dynas and I could still ride it 1500 miles without needing to do anything to it. But I kept coming across articles from people who said they would like to see a road king turned into an FXRT, but only a couple of people did them, and they didn't go all the way; only putting the fairing on a bagger and calling it done. I figured I had the perfect donor.

So I got in touch with Joe from Deviant Fabrications and ordered a kit with the fairing, lowers, headlight cover (black), and the brackets. The fairing and lowers are injection molded, and come black.

Drilling is required to mount the fairing to the bracket, as well as to mount the headlight, windshield, lowers, and headlight cover. The bracket provided is a good base, as it fits perfectly to the neck, but it sits the fairing too low, as the triple tree on the touring models sits lower than the dynas. Its two pieces that bolt together, but I ended up relocating the fairing, so I welded it together (and cut it apart, and rewelded it, and cut it apart again, and rewelded it since it was a trial and error experiment). The opening in the bottom of the fairing where the fork legs would go was insufficient for using a stock touring front end, so I had to cut it open bigger to allow me to turn the bars to full lock without touching the fairing. The windshield provided sucked, and I shattered it installing it (I'm also no master fabricator, and I have the dexterity of a toddler), so for now I don't run one. In the future, I'd like a Klockwerx windshield, but I'm a broke college student, so my bank account looks like the stock market in '08. All in all, for $1575 SHIPPED, it was a heck of a purchase, and I would recommend it again.

As of right now, it looks mean, blocks the wind, handles like a champ, runs like a raped ape, and is big enough for a 270lbs chubby guy to be comfortable and look good with all the pretty little dynas. I did all this with basic tools, a little help from a mechanic, a welder, and an ****-retentive business owner who kept me on track when I wanted to take too many smoke breaks. I feel anyone with friends like the above and a basic set of tools can accomplish this build. All together, I'm in it about $3500, plus beer, by sourcing a lot of the parts used.

Attached Thumbnails Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)-fxrt2.jpg   Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)-fxrt.jpg   Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)-fxrt4.jpg   Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)-fxrt5.jpg   Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)-fxrt6.jpg  

Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)-fxrt7.jpg   Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)-fxrt8.jpg   Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)-fxrt9.jpg   Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)-fxrrt10.jpg   Road King FXRT (Big boy FXR)-fxrt12.jpg  

Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

ummmm
Sidecar?....... nope
Trike conversion?....... nope
Trailer?......... nope

Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 AM
big_matt_sfv
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm
new to the forum? Yup
made a mistake in navigation? Yup
blow me? Yup

Old 03-14-2017, 08:30 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Funny stuff!!

Old 03-16-2017, 08:02 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

NP cupcake.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:19 PM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

it looks nice it's very close to an FXR. Mine is a FXRT minus the fairing and hard bags