Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Reverse-Mechanical or Electric?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts
Default Reverse-Mechanical or Electric?

I see most conversion outfits sell a mechanical reverse system instead of Harley's electric motor. How do you guys feel about it? Do you use reverse enough to warrant going with the more expensive mechanical?

Looking at converting my SG to a trike.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I have mechanical and I wouldn't want electric. With mechanical the reverse speed is controlled by the throttle just like your forward speed is. With electric, it's on or off, period. Look and see how many people have had to replace or fix their electric compared to mechanical. No contest. You don't have/need anything extra like a motor with mechanical and it doesn't tax the battery. I really don't think there is much difference cost wise. If you are converting, there are a lot of really quality options to choose from. Try solid and IRS before you make a decision. I love the independent suspension and found it to be a better choice than solid, but that's my opinion. You may prefer solid. Either way, I doubt you will have any regrets if you do convert. I use my reverse a lot, but to be fair, I only have 1 leg so my opinion as to the need for it may differ from most. I will say I know plenty of 2 legged guys that love having reverse. A conversion does add a fair amount of weight to the ride and its nice to not have to worry about parking on a slope etc.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:34 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

I don't have reverse but my trike is a Sportster so not a lot of weight. Always thought if I added a reverse it would mechanical, like the Champion unit.

Originally Posted by roadking2000
... If you are converting, there are a lot of really quality options to choose from. Try solid and IRS before you make a decision. I love the independent suspension and found it to be a better choice than solid, but that's my opinion.
I have to agree with this ... mine is solid but the IRS rides a lot better ... riding a solid feels a lot like riding a quad, you will feel the trike move and follow the camber of the road under you

Old 04-07-2017, 10:11 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

With the mechanical, do you lose a gear?

Old 04-07-2017, 03:56 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
With the mechanical, do you lose a gear?
No, you don't lose a gear. You gain a gear.....reverse. Mine had 5 speeds to begin with and it still has the same 5 forward speeds it started with plus reverse. To me anyway, the advantages mechanical has over electric are enough to make it a no-brainer. I talk to a lot of trike riders and many of those with electric wish they had mechanical. I have yet to talk to anyone with mechanical that wishes they had electric. Many Tri riders keep electric because they are getting it repaired under warranty, but if they were paying for it, they would convert to mechanical. Some bite the bullet and say to hell with electric and go ahead and pay for mechanical when their electric takes a dump. Your dollar, your choice, but I'd never even consider electric.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:35 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Been doing some research. Seems like the conversions do mostly mechanical, and if they offer electric, the prices are similar. So mechanical it is then.

Getting up in age and knees are not as good as they were. Wife has had health problems making it hard to ride 2 up so looking at converting this fall.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I set myself up with a Bushtec trailer for touring so I wanted reverse. Baker Drivetrain looked to me to be the best choice. It's worked well so far and I don't expect an problems.
My vote goes for Baker Drivetrain.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Been doing some research. Seems like the conversions do mostly mechanical, and if they offer electric, the prices are similar. So mechanical it is then.

Getting up in age and knees are not as good as they were. Wife has had health problems making it hard to ride 2 up so looking at converting this fall.
I rode my RK for many years having only 1 good leg. Converting it to a trike was the best thing I ever did to any bike ever. No more struggles to hold it up, back it up and just plain old riding it. 2 up is no longer a struggle and the fun factor hasn't diminished one bit. Trikes are a lot of fun to ride. Pick a good kit, a reputable installer if you are going that route, and good luck. You won't regret it.

P.S. Get a raked tree when you do it. It's like adding power steering and well worth it for the added ease of riding.

The following users liked this post:
IzzoQuazzo (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 10:55 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Within 50 miles of my house I find dealers that do Champion, Hannigan, and Roadsmith conversions. From what I've read on in this section, those are 3 of the best. Anything else I should be looking at?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:35 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Within 50 miles of my house I find dealers that do Champion, Hannigan, and Roadsmith conversions. From what I've read on in this section, those are 3 of the best. Anything else I should be looking at?
The only others I looked at were Lehman and California Sidecar (CSC). My least favorite was the Lehman. The others you mentioned are all real good kits. It's like choosing between a Toyota and a Honda or a Chevy and a Ford. There are differences in overall look and part of that is due to the actual configuration. For example the CSC is pretty long. If you look at it, the passenger seating is forward of the rear wheels making it a longer trike. On the Champion for example the passenger sits more on top of the rear wheels. I've got a Champion, but the Hannigan and Roadsmith are very good kits too. Personally, I didn't like the look of the longer CSC. It's a good kit but the aesthetics of it was what I didn't like. Maybe that appeals to you though. Storage capacity also varies and so does the engineering of the rear end but none of those you mentioned are bad. They are just a little different. I would have had to change belts if I went with the CSC where as the Champion uses the stock Harley belt. Things like that. While on the subject of belts, conversion time is a good time to get a new one if yours has miles on it. Easy to change during conversion. Harder to do afterwords.

Quick Reply: Reverse-Mechanical or Electric?