Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

frankenstein trike conversions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 01:15 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default frankenstein trike conversions

Hi
Is there anyone out there that has put on a Frankenstein trike conversion kit and has had it for a few years and put on over 20,000 miles. I am thinking of converting a 2003 sporty and want to know the pros and cons

Old 11-24-2017, 01:26 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

i have seen some posts on this conversion. Most seem very happy and did it themselves.

Don't know if they have many miles on the conversion though.

Here is a link to OP Thread about the conversion
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...-complete.html

The following users liked this post:
gerald martin (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 04:47 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

I put a Frankenstein on a 2008 Sportster 883 Custom and installed the rake trees as well. Have put over 9000 mile on the conversion and have not had any problems. Installation instructions are very clear and it me around 4 hours to do the conversion. I highly recommend the Frankenstein kit and the company is very helpful.

Riding a trike is totally different than a solo bike ... first you don't ride a trike, you steer it. It is a learning process ... the feeling you get is very similar to a quad or snowmobile. Rake trees make the trike steer easier, or feel easier anyway. Without the rake trees the trike has a heavy feeling in corners and while making slow turns.

Go for it and enjoy all the attention it draws ...

gerald martin (11-24-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 08:27 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default frankenstein trikes

there must be more people out there with a lot of miles on their Frankenstein. I would really appreciate more response. It doesn't have to be a sporty it could be any thing, softail road king ext.
Thanks
Gerald

Old 12-18-2017, 10:37 PM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Many do this because of injury or age, that was what it was for me that dam cancer treatment screwed up my balance. After walking by my bike for near a year knowing I could never ride it again. I called Frankenstein and in about 3 hours I was riding again. It was strange at first now I wonder why I waited to do this. It's just down right fun to ride, I never put 6000 miles on in one summer before. I love it, back in the saddle and loving every minute of it. Ride on.

Attached Thumbnails frankenstein trike conversions-rtrike2014.jpg  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:12 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

My dad has had a sporty and currently rides an evo softail with a Frankenstein kit and while I don't know how many miles he's put on it, I've probably logged 5-6K on his Evo. It's a super nice ride and a really well made kit. Very robust stuff. He pulls a trailer and camps off the back of his pretty often. He says he doesn't see himself ever wanting to go back on two wheels as fun as his trikes are. He only has 3 of them at the moment

Last edited by 67Shuv; 01-04-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Hi
Is there anyone out there that has put on a Frankenstein trike conversion kit and has had it for a few years and put on over 20,000 miles. I am thinking of converting a 2003 sporty and want to know the pros and cons
I can't help with the mileage part of the question since, I only have 6,000 miles on the kit with absolutely 0 issues, but I can give you my pros and cons insight.
Pros:
  • Excellent fit and finish using car parts. Ford 9" axle, and Dana differential.
  • Corners like you are on a rail since there is no body roll due to straight axle.
  • Awesome customer service and support
  • Looks awesome
  • All parts are easily accessible to occasionally check the belt tension and bolt torque etc.
  • reasonable price
Cons:
  • Lack of fiberglass storage, if this is a desire
  • You will feel the bumps. The ride I would compare to sports cars with stiff suspension for handling. You would want to go with a independent suspension if a Cadillac ride is what your after.
  • No stock reverse offered with the kit. I find it is not necessary though since the kit only adds around 125lbs.

I'm sure there is many more others may share.Good luck with your decision.

TinCupChalice (01-06-2018)