Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Motorcycle Campers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 07:23 PM
dynamic098
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Motorcycle Campers

Looking for advise on tow behind motorcycle campers. We don't know anything about them. A buddy of mine has a roll a home I believe, and he does a lot of camping with it. Are there other brands that are comparable? How much do they go for new? Is there a used market somewhere that we could look for one?

Top Answer

02-04-2018, 08:09 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
funny,thats the spirit.

I road to the nearist big box and bought the nicest tent(watch seasonal sold out) ,after the 5 days I returned it.
Returning a product after using it for a week and then bragging about it. Wow now that's priceless.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:57 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

My parents used to have a time out pop up camper trailer. It had a platform big enough for a queen size air mattress and another enclosed spot where you could stand up and change. Had a spot on the front of the trailer for a ice chest. They were very happy with it until they decided they didn't want to set up a camper anymore and started stay in motels on bike trips.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:07 PM
ddsdoorguy
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

It's funny I came across this thread today. I just spent the last 4 hours on the web looking at you tube videos and web sites on motorcycle camp trailers. So from what I found, those time out camper trailers are very popular and seem to be the best bang for your buck. I was looking at new trailers and saw prices from $3000.00 to $6000.00 with the average being about $4200.00. I couldn't find very many used out there.
Thanks dynamic098 for starting this thread. I'm very interested to see what people have to say.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:40 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

For what they want for a pop up tent camper you can stay in a lot of motels and be more comfortable. Not to mention cover more ground because you just walk in and out the door as opposed to set up and break down. Also, when I travel, part of what I want to experience is the roads and dragging a trailer (IMO) diminishes that. The final straw for me is what some campgrounds want for night of grass space with no electricity.

When I'm looking to travel on the cheap I go back out by the interstate and find a Lowes or Home Depot that has sheds on display in the lot (Google maps and streetview usually confirms this). A good meal, wait til they close, ride my scoot inside, shut the doors and lay out my bed roll. I roll out in the morning 50-80 bucks richer.

The following 4 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
jkghdrider (02-13-2018), motohaid (03-08-2018), Nuts n Bolts (08-09-2021), voodoodrug (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 05:52 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Motels are great for vegging in front of a tv. Camping is a different game.
I bought a Kwik Kamp used for $1100, it has a new canvas top.
Make sure you have access to your belongings when it’s folded up and setup.
Mine is so heavy I only pulled it with the bike once.
I have been pulling a cargo trailer for years and it never bothered me, but the camper is a load.

The following users liked this post:
Nuts n Bolts (08-09-2021)
Old 02-04-2018, 07:10 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with the issue of the weight of any pull behind camper. This was the one issue that I couldn't get over! I have been pulling a Bushtec Turbo II for that past ten years. We camp with some very good quality gear, a good tent is a must have(Redverz Atacama tent https://redverz.com/atacama/ ) plenty of room to stand and change and a place to sit out of the rain that is more comfy that any hotel. The trailer is ultra light, pull's extremely easy without knowing its even there. Set up and break down can be quick once you have a good routine. The only time I will hit a motel is if there is prolonged really crappy rain storms. Whatever you decide buy quality the first time.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,333 Likes on 3,273 Posts

2 friends of mine pull Bunkhouse brand campers, they love them... Me , I can barely get my wife to stay in something less than a Hampton Inn...

Old 02-04-2018, 08:04 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
When I'm looking to travel on the cheap I go back out by the interstate and find a Lowes or Home Depot that has sheds on display in the lot (Google maps and streetview usually confirms this). A good meal, wait til they close, ride my scoot inside, shut the doors and lay out my bed roll. I roll out in the morning 50-80 bucks richer.
funny,thats the spirit.

No real good advice on purchaseing OP, sry. Last summer went camping for 5 days, first of all watch out cause some camp sites will nickle and dime you to death.I steared away from those and actually found a better site too.....then after we unloaded the bikes(3) I road to the nearist big box and bought the nicest tent(watch seasonal sold out) ,after the 5 days I returned it.Probably saved a few hundred on the hotel that week too, but having a party every night with friends showing up by the dozen was priceless

Old 02-04-2018, 08:09 AM
fabricater
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been pulling a camper or a trailer for many years. There is a forum called motocampers dot com.( not sure about posting links) lots of info on the web site. Aspen sentry and bunkhouse are similar. I had a Aspen sentry ,and now have a leesure lite. Mini mate is another brand that is small and fast set up,also one of the less expensive campers. Ease of set up and weight and storage is what I look for in a camper. My wife and I like to camp over staying in a motel. My leesure lite sets up in under a minute. When it comes to campers ,it's all in what you want. The time out folds up small ,that helps when pulling it down the road,but it takes more time to set up and take down. They also have a lot of space inside when set up. Do a YouTube search. I will add that my goldwing did a much better job pulling the aspen sentry than my HD. I have not pulled the leesure lite with either bike yet,but being much less weight than the aspen,I don't think it will be a issue with either bike.

Last edited by fabricater; 02-04-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:09 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
funny,thats the spirit.

I road to the nearist big box and bought the nicest tent(watch seasonal sold out) ,after the 5 days I returned it.
Returning a product after using it for a week and then bragging about it. Wow now that's priceless.

The following 10 users liked this post by SpiderPig:
BelchFire (02-24-2019), crazytown (06-20-2018), ddsdoorguy (02-04-2018), deadhawg (02-04-2018), MadMexican (02-04-2018), Nuts n Bolts (08-10-2021), perki48 (02-04-2018), Phil_R (02-04-2018), traildog (07-14-2018), Uncle Larry (02-04-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Campers