Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

2017 RGU sidecar adventure

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 04:06 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

Using some parts designed for a wheel chair Payton and I made a harness to assist her sitting up straight in the new sidecar. It works. Now we will put some miles on it and see if any improvements are needed.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bYCJab]

Old 10-18-2018, 11:43 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

I had a few try to tell me once sidecar brake was hooked up the ABS would not work. That was incorrect. The ABS works as it should with the sidecar bake .

Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Nice little ride yesterday about 175 one way stayed over night rode back early this morning. Took main roads going there and real scenic route coming back this morning. Both days ride started at 37 degrees warned up to mid 40's. Visited with son and granddaughter, got some range time in with them. The Sidecar is doing a great job.
Met a deer this morning early we touched but no damage it was at about 20 mph in a tight curve

Old 11-18-2018, 01:45 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Just over 2.500 miles on the sidecar now. I may never take it off. Did some riding in snow and cold, all went well. It is in for the HD clutch recall now picking it up Monday. The Tech that installed the sidecar is doing to recall he said it was not going to be a big deal getting in there.
Not time to put it away in Wisconsin yet.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:25 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

This is how Grandpa does Daycare on a no school day.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:19 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Nice restraint belt you did for Payton. Kids love sidecars. With a bigger budget than I have, that would be my sidecar choice, too.

I got a '96 factory Harley sidecar rig this summer, still doing some fixing up before more than around the neighborhood rides, getting the disconnected sidecar wiring and brakes fixed, new brakes, tires and bike cast wheels to match the car cast wheel, bunch of little stuff, but winter got here before I finished. The Harley sidecar is crude compared to a Hannigan, but it's big enough for a good sized adult and handles ok. I don't know if the factory rigs have a different rake, but it does have a steering damper.

My daughter wanted to take a very short and slow ride on my cul de sac with both kids, first time in the breeze for the 2 year old girl. Definitely slow, don't have a helmet for her, she won't be doing any real rides for some years at least. She loved the wind... even putting along in first gear.

The Ural has been the primary sidecar rig the past 3 years, shopping, school runs, and just having family fun. Not a highway machine, don't like cruising over 50, so never been far from home (easy trailering distance, it's Russian ). Got a Honda scooter with California sidecar last summer, also needed work, but got it for about what the sidecar usually goes for. It handles like a sports car and can cruise any interstate speed. It's going to be my primary run around sidecar rig now, Harley for fun and long rides. I thought my Daughter would like no clutch, too, but she says it feels weird, doesn't like it yet. Needed a new seat for the car and tires, got all that this summer. I should have sold the Ural this summer, it definitely needs to find a new home next spring.

My grandson, when he was 7, was supposed to drive it forward a little while I took a video. Of course he did what boys will do, took off laughing with his mother laughing in the sidecar and they rode off to the horizon on the Ural. I had to wait long enough to get pretty nervous before they came back, with her driving, and they both laughed as she went right on by and they did it again in the other direction.

Hope you get some great memories with the kids and the new sidecar, look forward to more photos.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:01 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Imold
Nice restraint belt you did for Payton. Kids love sidecars. With a bigger budget than I have, that would be my sidecar choice, too.

I got a '96 factory Harley sidecar rig this summer, still doing some fixing up before more than around the neighborhood rides, getting the disconnected sidecar wiring and brakes fixed, new brakes, tires and bike cast wheels to match the car cast wheel, bunch of little stuff, but winter got here before I finished. The Harley sidecar is crude compared to a Hannigan, but it's big enough for a good sized adult and handles ok. I don't know if the factory rigs have a different rake, but it does have a steering damper.

My daughter wanted to take a very short and slow ride on my cul de sac with both kids, first time in the breeze for the 2 year old girl. Definitely slow, don't have a helmet for her, she won't be doing any real rides for some years at least. She loved the wind... even putting along in first gear.

The Ural has been the primary sidecar rig the past 3 years, shopping, school runs, and just having family fun. Not a highway machine, don't like cruising over 50, so never been far from home (easy trailering distance, it's Russian ). Got a Honda scooter with California sidecar last summer, also needed work, but got it for about what the sidecar usually goes for. It handles like a sports car and can cruise any interstate speed. It's going to be my primary run around sidecar rig now, Harley for fun and long rides. I thought my Daughter would like no clutch, too, but she says it feels weird, doesn't like it yet. Needed a new seat for the car and tires, got all that this summer. I should have sold the Ural this summer, it definitely needs to find a new home next spring.

My grandson, when he was 7, was supposed to drive it forward a little while I took a video. Of course he did what boys will do, took off laughing with his mother laughing in the sidecar and they rode off to the horizon on the Ural. I had to wait long enough to get pretty nervous before they came back, with her driving, and they both laughed as she went right on by and they did it again in the other direction.

Hope you get some great memories with the kids and the new sidecar, look forward to more photos.
That is cool. I would enjoy a picture of the 96 Sidecar. I had a 563 sidecar on a 1996 FB for just under 4 years. I moved it to a 750 street for now while I do some needed maintenance on the FB.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Argh, I forgot to put the sidecar pic in. I had this one picked out.

It's not very photogenic right now, seat off and battery on tender, but at least it's back on 3 wheels till spring, when hopefully I'll put the cast wheels on that match the sidecar's.

Something to think about if you ever need a seat for a sidecar smaller than the Hannigan, I put this one in the California sidecar on the Honda. It's a replacement jeep seat, steel tube frame, nice thick cushions over springs, yet not real heavy. Was right around $100, cheaper than a lot of the fiberglass shells with a vinyl cover often found in them. It's not warped, that's just the camera.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:20 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Imold
Argh, I forgot to put the sidecar pic in. I had this one picked out.

It's not very photogenic right now, seat off and battery on tender, but at least it's back on 3 wheels till spring, when hopefully I'll put the cast wheels on that match the sidecar's.

Something to think about if you ever need a seat for a sidecar smaller than the Hannigan, I put this one in the California sidecar on the Honda. It's a replacement jeep seat, steel tube frame, nice thick cushions over springs, yet not real heavy. Was right around $100, cheaper than a lot of the fiberglass shells with a vinyl cover often found in them. It's not warped, that's just the camera.

Thanks for the pictures always like seeing sidecars and what others are doing with them. I have considered a small car seat for the 563 sidecar to make it more comfortable.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:32 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Depending on the snow we get Plan is to keep the Street 750 with the 563 mounted out all winter again this year. We slipped in a good number of rides with it last year. When it was moved over from the 1996 FB it was a temporary move. Worked out so well it is staying on the Street .

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H4cwY4]

Quick Reply: 2017 RGU sidecar adventure