Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

2017 RGU sidecar adventure

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Thanks for the pictures always like seeing sidecars and what others are doing with them. I have considered a small car seat for the 563 sidecar to make it more comfortable.
This is the one I got. The sale is over and the price went up, though. The pdf links show photos and give dimensions. The seat in my California sidecar just had two clamps that rotated over a round bar bolted to the floor on the front of the seat, so it could tilt forward for luggage space access, no locking in place mechanism. I took that out so I could bolt in an appropriate length of hinge plate to hold the seat and still tilt, and haven't figured out yet how to lock the seat upright, would like to do that for somewhat secure storage behind it. Haven't put a seat belt in it yet, that's next (did in the Ural, don't like young children unsecured). Probably will for the Harley, too. Kids sometimes do things without thinking, don't want them able to stand up or lean out when it's moving.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:13 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,589 Likes on 5,164 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
This is the one I got. The sale is over and the price went up, though. The pdf links show photos and give dimensions. The seat in my California sidecar just had two clamps that rotated over a round bar bolted to the floor on the front of the seat, so it could tilt forward for luggage space access, no locking in place mechanism. I took that out so I could bolt in an appropriate length of hinge plate to hold the seat and still tilt, and haven't figured out yet how to lock the seat upright, would like to do that for somewhat secure storage behind it. Haven't put a seat belt in it yet, that's next (did in the Ural, don't like young children unsecured). Probably will for the Harley, too. Kids sometimes do things without thinking, don't want them able to stand up or lean out when it's moving.
I hear you on seat belt. Payton has CP so sitting up is hard the harness helps. The canopies are nice , however the Hannigan one does not have to be removed to get in and out. The seat change on the 563 does not have to be done right away, just something I have on the list.
Son in law and I can fab just about anything if we need to. I really don't see ever taking the sidecar off the RGU it is just to much fun.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:59 PM
Imold
another old guy

Saw a link at the bottom to another thread where you discussed car tires and someone mentioned the Avon trike tire. I already put a CT on the California sidecar (that doesn't have a sidecar brake, yet is the best stopping bike I have, how is that?) and will put a CT on the Honda's rear when that time comes. I had an Avon Cobra rear the right size for the Harley that's already 2 years old, so I'm putting that on as the pusher (when I put the cast wheel on), put an Avon Cobra front on the car already, and got an Avon Trike for the front. Avon warns not to use the Trike tire on a 2 wheel bike, but I don't intend to use the bike without the sidecar. If I manage to wear out the Cobras, I'll probably go CT next, but since the front does have a camber on turns, I think the trike tire might be better for optimal handling, and I'd think it would steer easier - the Electra Glide requires more effort than my lighter weight (720 lbs) Ural, and it can be a workout. At 71, my shoulders are telling me they'll never be young again.

Kevin at DK Custom did around a 40 day trip this summer on his trike, with an Avon trike tire on the front and liked it.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:06 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,589 Likes on 5,164 Posts

Saw a link at the bottom to another thread where you discussed car tires and someone mentioned the Avon trike tire. I already put a CT on the California sidecar (that doesn't have a sidecar brake, yet is the best stopping bike I have, how is that?) and will put a CT on the Honda's rear when that time comes. I had an Avon Cobra rear the right size for the Harley that's already 2 years old, so I'm putting that on as the pusher (when I put the cast wheel on), put an Avon Cobra front on the car already, and got an Avon Trike for the front. Avon warns not to use the Trike tire on a 2 wheel bike, but I don't intend to use the bike without the sidecar. If I manage to wear out the Cobras, I'll probably go CT next, but since the front does have a camber on turns, I think the trike tire might be better for optimal handling, and I'd think it would steer easier - the Electra Glide requires more effort than my lighter weight (720 lbs) Ural, and it can be a workout. At 71, my shoulders are telling me they'll never be young again.

Kevin at DK Custom did around a 40 day trip this summer on his trike, with an Avon trike tire on the front and liked it.
The Hannigan twin classic comes with a car tire seems to work fine. The disk brake works well and is ABS. On the RGU I put a Trike front end on it . My goal was to have it so with or with out the sidecar it would work . Next rear tire on the bike will be a CT for use with sidecar.
Changing the rake and trail will make the steering much lighter.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:38 PM
Imold
another old guy

This is the one I got. The sale is over and the price went up, though. The pdf links show photos and give dimensions. ....
Just noticed I forgot to put the web page in the post. Might make more sense with it.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/2...m_campaign=cse

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (11-29-2018)