Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

2017 RGU sidecar adventure

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 12:40 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts
Default 2017 RGU sidecar adventure

Wife and I know the time is coming for a sidecar on a 900lbs plus Touring bike. The older you get the more stuff you carry. Trikes do not fit our needs nor appeal to either of us.
The process of picking one and all the extras starts now. Along with this is a planned stop at Hannigan motorsports in Murry KY in May. Murry KY is about 530 miles from us so they rose to the top of the list quickly. For our needs it appears the Classic Twin Sidecar is the best option.
Now it is a madder of going down the list of what is necessary, and what are nice to have options, and those we will want. If you wish to go down this list with us I will gladly share the information.
First step is a point of contact at Hannigan. That was taken care of today. Second is a 3 page check list to go down line by line check off as yes , no , maybe and need more information. What is clear No short cuts it will be done right. I have set a budget of $10,000 at home done. Should come in well below that , but I tend to take realist view at cost on this type of work. The base $5,000 is just a starting point. You just have to have the $35 cup holder.
I have no intentions of giving up two wheels . The Sidecar will be detachable and I have other options . Life time of riding from Mimi bikes to Touring just another adventure .

Old 02-27-2018, 01:03 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Congrats! I think you have made a wise choice, and it will look great on the RGU. When you are looking at the options, I highly recommend the ECC - Electric Camber Control - minimizes the effort needed to hold a straight line on a crowned road. Disc brake on the hack too, but you probably already know that.

At the end of January I ordered a Supersport sidecar from Hannigan for my '16 RGU, Should be delivered to the installer in a couple weeks, hope to have it mounted by the middle of March. I'm having raked trees installed at the same time, along with other options, so by the time I get it on the road it'll be north of $10k.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:46 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

deadhawg, yes ECC on something this size is a must have already. Talking my time with this and wife will have her input.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:48 AM
rockie
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Smithy,why side cat instead of trike.can the modern side car b taken on and off easily or does it need squaring up and balancing every time.?Hv an ultra Classic I was thinking of trikeing so wife will come on trips.id welcome yr opinion on both.was worried bout lifting sidecar wheel and scaring the b j us out of her

Old 02-27-2018, 04:43 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rockie
Hi Smithy,why side cat instead of trike.can the modern side car b taken on and off easily or does it need squaring up and balancing every time.?Hv an ultra Classic I was thinking of trikeing so wife will come on trips.id welcome yr opinion on both.was worried bout lifting sidecar wheel and scaring the b j us out of her
Ridden trikes ,don't like them. I am sure some do. The small trunk and tour pack don't store much. I have some experience with sidecars and when set up right they Are flexible and work well. With the right setup quick disconnect is no problem.
With the one I have now mounted on a 750 Street I can have it off in 20 minutes , it is not a quick disconnect. lift the side car or flying the car is a riding skill. With someone in it the car is not coming up if mounted right.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:49 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by deadhawg
Congrats! I think you have made a wise choice, and it will look great on the RGU. When you are looking at the options, I highly recommend the ECC - Electric Camber Control - minimizes the effort needed to hold a straight line on a crowned road. Disc brake on the hack too, but you probably already know that.

At the end of January I ordered a Supersport sidecar from Hannigan for my '16 RGU, Should be delivered to the installer in a couple weeks, hope to have it mounted by the middle of March. I'm having raked trees installed at the same time, along with other options, so by the time I get it on the road it'll be north of $10k.
Think you will enjoy if. Hope the install goes well for you. List of things I am looking at for this one. Nothing set in stone yet. Will visit them the end of May. I am about $2000 over my target budget , however some of the extra are worth it to me and wife.
We are looking at the the Classic Twin one reason is it flips open . Makes it a lot easier to get people or stuff in and out.

Disc Brake with Quick-Disconnect Hydraulics (Mandatory on Certain Bikes)
$695
ECC (electric camber control) (HIGHLY Recommended for ALL Bikes)
$595
Mag Wheel Upgrade (5 spoke brushed aluminum)
$65
Spoiler Trunk Lighted specify Red or Clear lens
$295
Cup Holder (Tri-Fold fixed)
$35
Plug 12 volt Accessory + Dual USB
$50
Seat Belt (Lap Belt Only)
$55
Steering Damper Kit (necessary for some bike applications)
$125
Convertible Top (includes all hardware)
$495

Steer-Lite All others (consult HMS representative for availability & necessity)
$995

Cover-medium weight nylon (silver only)
$135
Springs Heavy Front Fork (where applicable by make, model, and availabilty)

Paint - One Color Black hills Gold
$1,095

I may have the Steer-lite and damper installed here at home to save install time when I ride down. The two Setups I have had I did not need a raked tree but did use steering damper on my Fatboy.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 RGU sidecar adventure-1c2c605eb0c4c1dc570db0c90e224db9_408_299_90.png  

Last edited by smitty901; 02-27-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:35 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Think you will enjoy if. Hope the install goes well for you. List of things I am looking at for this one. Nothing set in stone yet. Will visit them the end of May. I am about $2000 over my target budget , however some of the extra are worth it to me and wife.
We are looking at the the Classic Twin one reason is it flips open . Makes it a lot easier to get people or stuff in and out.

I may have the Steer-lite and damper installed here at home to save install time when I ride down. The two Setups I have had I did not need a raked tree but did use steering damper on my Fatboy.
I talked to Hannigan about the steering damper, they told me it's "probably" not needed. It's 500 miles home from the installer, so by the time I ride the rig home I should have a pretty good idea if it's needed or not.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:04 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by deadhawg
I talked to Hannigan about the steering damper, they told me it's "probably" not needed. It's 500 miles home from the installer, so by the time I ride the rig home I should have a pretty good idea if it's needed or not.
The steering damp was a good idea on my Fatboy. I know there is a lot of anti HD dealer stuff out there. Dealer I use is great and has been for half a life time for us.
Seriously considering ordering everything and have the HD do the work over next winter. I have install a couple but this will require a bit more skill.
By the way sharp looking 2016 Mine was the same color

Last edited by smitty901; 02-28-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:17 AM
rockie
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don’t forget to post a few pictures when u receive your bike.Im on the fence now about weather to trike my Ultra CVO or get a hack.i like the idea of been able to remove hack and use bike as normal but wld I need to Hv it Alined by a pro every time I put it back on.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:23 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

For the raked tree you can go with HD trike tree,tubes,damper and covers. Because of the longer tubes it cost a little more but a real clean setup.
With the quick disconnect No you do not have to realign to put it back on. Even with the one I have with out quick disconnect . I just mark it and putting back on is easy.

I am no Indian fan but check this one out they did. It is done right in every way.

https://www.mischlershd.com/default....ownedinventory

Quick Reply: 2017 RGU sidecar adventure