Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecar CLE, TLE technical data help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:38 AM
saltanek
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sidecar CLE, TLE technical data help please

Hello,
I have FLHT or FLHTC model (DD in VIN code) motorbike year 1997 and I also got with with original HD sidecar. Unfortunatelly for this sidecar i do not have any technical data (containing such info about chassis weight, lenght, max. loading, brakes, wheels, tyres, etc).

There is not even VIN code on sidecar, which i guess it should be there, based on my search i have done sofar on internet.I guess VIN should or could be something like 1HD8SG11TTxxxxxx (this means 16-digit, without engine specification).
Basicially I would need some data for SEPARATELY purchased side car which was intended to be connected to FLHT model.
I would need also some HD declaration that TLE or CLE sidecar can be or is possible to connect to FLHT model.

I would be even thankfull if somebody could provide me info about existing separatelly purchased TLE sidecar VIN number

Unfortunatelly without those documents the authorities in my country will not add the sidecar to motorcycle registration documents I have and i will not be allowed to ride with it legally.
I tried to contact HD representatives in my country to get data and declaration, but unfortunatelly without any success. I got feeling unless you want to buy new motorcycle they do not acctually much care to help.

I bought it with bike for family rides with kids hoping it would not be so difficult to register with bike and so difficult to get data but it seems to be very difficult. thank you for any response. BR Dan

Attached Thumbnails Sidecar CLE, TLE technical data help please-20140610_165804.jpg   Sidecar CLE, TLE technical data help please-20140610_165814.jpg   Sidecar CLE, TLE technical data help please-p1010153.jpg   Sidecar CLE, TLE technical data help please-p1010155.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (12-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:02 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Call the HD Customer Service and ask them your questions, And they don't do E-mails.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:50 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome.
You can find a sidecar shop manual and the sidecar owner's manual on EBAY that will have all the technical information you need.
In the US, a sidecar is considered an accessory to the motorcycle just like touring luggage or saddle bags, etc. Therefor, it doesn't have a VIN number but does have a serial number on the frame rail right next to where your right foot would be if the sidecar is attached to the motorcycle. That's how it is here, anyway.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:09 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Take care of that sidecar you have a gem. Good luck getting paper work sorted out.
As others have said Customer service can help you .

Old 07-28-2017, 09:29 AM
saltanek
Stage IV

Hello guys,
thank you for your advises, I may try to call customer servis. I am worried that without VIN they will not provide me anything moreover I hope my english will be good enough to understand. I found this phone contact 1-800-258-2464 or (414) 343-4056 hope, thats right one. Pitty not possible to write.

Unfortonutally in Europe and especially in my country is really big proble m to connect sidecar due to stupid laws and all regulations. Lucky you, you live in country where this issues (sidecars, custom bikes, modification of serial bikes) are easy. You would not believe what "bulling" or "bossing" is possible here with all regulations done by people who never rode bike.

Well as regards the VIN codes for sidecars, you say (Chromepony), that there is no VIN for sidecars only serial number, but this does not corrospond with VIN tabs you can find on internet where, weight class for sidecars is assigned number 8 and for different sidecars models are assigned different letters like SA, SE, SG, SL and many others. Maybe sidecars, which were originally mounted with bike like models with VIN DE, DR etc, they do not have VIN and those purchased separatelly have VIN like SE, SG etc.
I have got some 6 digit number on it see Picture, but it is not at the place you say. Moreover the HD representative in my country asked for VIN, but i have this number only.

Yes I know what gem I have, but I can look at it only right now (

Attached Thumbnails Sidecar CLE, TLE technical data help please-p1010156-modified.jpg  
Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 AM
saltanek
Stage IV

I have called the H-D customer care servis directly on numbers above. But unfortunatelly without any success, they told me that there is only service manual to sidecars, not technical data sheet, which seems to be extremelly weird to me.
Even for simple products you can normally get official technical data sheet containing all technical basics from producer to their products.

I also asked for official statement that TLE sidecars can be mounted on FLHT bikes.

I tried to explain, why i need it and what i need, what date it should include, but unfortunatelly without any success to get something.

After 10 minutes of our fruitless call they hang up....before i could even also ask about VINs. If sidecars have VINs or not.

PLS I need something similar like enclosed exctract from data sheet for FLHT (this is general data sheet for FLHT 1997)... but with appropriete info for sidecar TLE sold/purchase separatelly.

Pls can anybody help me to get those 2 documents from H-D, i am really desperate.....

BR Dan

Attached Thumbnails Sidecar CLE, TLE technical data help please-sample-data-sheet-bike.jpg  

Last edited by saltanek; 08-10-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:00 PM
FL84FXWG
4th Gear

I just bought a 1988 TLE sidecar with the certificate of origin. Also got a CLE/TLE factory sidecar manual off of EBAY.

After looking at the manual it appears obvious to me that the only basic differences between the CLE & TLE are the mounts. The TLE uses the HEIM-Joint type of attachment and the CLE uses the type of attachments that you have visable on the lower front mount.

The CLE was made to mount to FLH 4 speed frames, the TLE was designed to bolt on to the FLT & FLHT 5 speed frames. Tubs are the same.

But with a little ingenuity you can mount most anything with a little fabrication work.

Although I have an 88 FLTC, I'm mounting the TLE side car to a 1998 Fatboy, FLSTF. Using the stock front TLE mounts and fabricating one for the rear mount.

In the USA, at least in Florida, the Sidecar comes with a Harley Certificate of Origin but a "title and registration is not required.

Best of luck on your project.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:05 PM
FL84FXWG
4th Gear
The following users liked this post:
saltanek (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:42 PM
saltanek
Stage IV

Hello,
thank you for your comments and helpfull advices... I had already bought factory manual on ebay to get some datas, i alredy know i have got TLE not CLE sidecar...
Still have problems to register here.... even H-D representatives here in CZ did not help me... they just told me that they can no recognize my sidecar to be original H-D from the pictures i sent them.....So i have been trying different ways how to get it on the road legally.... unfortunatelly here is registration neccesary... May i ask you to scan your certificate of origine for sidecar, erase you personal datas and send to my email saltanek@seznam.cz please? So i can have a look how it looks like pls?
thank you Dan.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Sidecar is considered part of the vehicle it is attached to. It does not have a Title like the bike does.