Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sportster to trike... Voyager kit???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:13 AM
DjDarleen
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster to trike... Voyager kit???

Hi y’all. My husband passed away recently and I am left with his 2005 HD sportster. I had my own smaller bike, which I sold a couple of summers ago. I am 5’5, less than 140 lbs. Had a big 750 for a while, but it was nerve wracking for me to ride- so big, it was a lot of work just to hold up and I never really enjoyed it because of that. I know the sportster would be a similar experience- I’d be terrified I might drop it. Also, I laid my bike down on some gravel about 5 years ago, fractured my shoulder and when I picked it up I ripped a couple of muscles. To clarify, I didn’t sell my bike because I was scared to ride it, I did get back on after the accident. But, I live in the DFW metroplex and there is just no good place to ride up here. But, I am moving back to South Texas soon. I’ve read all the different threads here in this forum and I have seen some folks have recommended just buying a pre-manufactured trike. I’m not going to buy a new machine, because I want to ride my husbands bike.
SO... I am considering the voyager kit. Some of the reasons for that are: it is stress tested, it looks good, seems fairly easy to install and remove, not outrageously expensive. My son may want this bike at some point, I want it to be easy for him to go back to two wheels. Recommendations for and/or against, please.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:49 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

Have not rode a Voyager so I don't have any input in that area ... I do have a 2008 Sportster with a Frankenstein conversion on it and really like the kit ... the Frankenstein kit can be removed and the bike put back to a solo, but not as easy as a Voyager ...

before you do anything you should ride a few different trikes to see if you like how they handle and feel ... riding a trike is totally different than a solo bike ... biggest thing you steer a trike cause they don't lean

Old 03-28-2018, 10:37 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Have you considered a sidecar? Easier to remove than a trike kit, more expensive than the voyager but less than a full trike conversion.
Rides and handles different than two wheels or a trike, but you have the stability of that third wheel and a lot more storage space than a trike.
Besides, sidecars are cooler than trikes!

The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (04-04-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 06:55 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

I've ridden a Frankenstein'd Sportster. It's a nice conversion for sure.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:13 PM
DjDarleen
3rd Gear
Default Thanks

Freedomrider , can you please post a photo of your bike from the back? I’m still open to suggestions.
Deadhawg, hadn’t considered a sidecar, but not out of the question.
shuv, Thanks for the input!

Old 04-04-2018, 06:06 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master

here are photos from the back and the side ... mine has the 4 degree rake trees, which make the steering easier ... I am also running stock exhaust that needed slight modification to fit under the rear axle ... but they do fit ...

Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master

Deadhawg is correct that a sidecar can be removed a lot easier than a trike kit ... you still need to relearn how to ride due to steering and not leaning into curves ... sidecars can be tricky on right hand turns, this is due to the car wanting to lift off the ground (flying the car) ... but once you learn how to handle a sidecar or trike you should be Ok

Whatever your choice you really need to check out both options and test ride everything you can ... ask owners of trikes and sidecars questions about how they handle ... and things to look out for ... we, owners of trikes, are willing to share our experience ...

Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 PM
DjDarleen
3rd Gear

Thanks for the pics freedomrider. That is a good looking machine. You also answered the two questions I was going to ask next, about wether a rake and/or modified exhaust are required.
Did you fabricate the piece in the middle? Also wondering if you have a reverse kit on?
I have a close friend who rides a can am and another that rides a Harley three wheeler, so I can talk to them. Planning on renting a trike soon.

Last edited by DjDarleen; 04-04-2018 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 04-05-2018, 06:49 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master

There is a Sticky at the top of this section "To Rake or Not to Rake" that has views from others members about this subject. I found the rake trees made the steering feel easier, even on my light Sportster. I used Frankenstein's rake trees for my trike, the tubes and everything else are stock items ... simply change the trees and move everything over from the stock setup.

I did have to modify a couple brackets for the rear stock pipe so it would pass under the rear axle. Frankenstein offers V&H Short Shots with their kit, these are good pipes but I found them to be too loud for me, even with the Quiet Baffles installed. The pipes stop at the right place for the sound to echo inside the right rear wheel. I made the stock exhaust and mufflers fit. The front pipe is totally stock and mounted in the stock location ... the rear pipe is stock but rotated a little outward ... this let the stock muffler pass under the rear axle. I had to modify a couple brackets to mount the rear pipe. I also plugged the ports in the stock mufflers for the stock equalizer pipe.

The rack over the rear fender is another Frankenstein item ... they offer this rack from their shop. It mounted up real nice and works great for me. I mounted a tool box on top to hold the items I need to take with me. The rider backrest is a Protac Driver Backrest item ... I had to reshape the backrest a little to give me the right support.

I do not have reverse ... the Frankenstein kit does not add a lot of weight. My Sportster trike is very easy to roll around without a reverse. No parking brake installed either ... if I'm concerned about it rolling I simply put it in 1st when I shut it off ... it hasn't rolled away yet.

A buddy helped me install the trike kit ... total time took us about 4 hours. I've been doing my own wrenching for over 50 years so it wasn't a problem. If you need any specific photos let me know, and I'll see if I can get what you want.

The following users liked this post:
Boblom (05-23-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 06:35 PM
HarleyD1929
Tourer
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts

Great thread, thank you..!
I've been thinking about different things I can do with my bike, wanting to keep it non-descript, but also stand out( if that makes any sense)..
Turning it into a trike was one of my first thoughts.
I like the look of the Frankenstein kit, hope you don't mind freedomrider, but I downloaded your pics for reference..

Quick Reply: Sportster to trike... Voyager kit???